Aggies look to get back to winning ways against Auburn

Photo by Photo By Cristian Aguirre

Since January 7th, Senior forward-guard Jasmine Lumpkin has averaged 8.5 rebounds per game and had eight rebounds and 8 assists against LSU.

The No. 14 Aggie women’s basketball team will welcome Auburn to Reed Arena on Sunday as they look to secure their seventh SEC win of the year. Auburn is (11-10, 2-7 SEC) on the year and have been in a tailspin ever since they started SEC play.
The Tigers have lost seven of their last eight, and were on a six game losing streak before beating Alabama at home on January 28th. The Aggies had won six of their last seven before falling to No. 12 Tennessee on Thursday in Knoxville. The Aggies and Tigers met once before, on January 7th, with the Aggies taking the win 82-73.
“What we’ve got to do is finish those tough games,” head coach Gary Blair said. “We’ve still got a lot of great teams that are coming in here, we’ve got Auburn coming in Sunday for their second time around at us, so what we’ve got to do is forget Tennessee and focus on Auburn, one game at a time.”
Texas A&M is led by freshman point guard Chennedy Carter, senior center Khaalia Hillsman, and senior forward Jasmine Lumpkin. Carter is averaging a team-high 21.3 points and 4.7 assists, while Hillsman is averaging 15.4 points and 7.8 rebounds, and Lumpkin is averaging 6.4 points and 6.2 rebounds. Carter has scored in double digits in every game she’s played in, and 20+ in 13 games this season. Lumpkin scored a career high 22 points against Tennessee, while also adding seven rebounds.
“We just have to stay together,” Lumpkin said. “We’ve got more ballgames to play and we can’t crumble, we have to learn from this game, see what we did wrong, and look to get better in practice and take care of Auburn.”
Auburn is led by junior guard Janiah McKay, sophomore guard Daisa Alexander, and freshman forward Unique Thompson. McKay leads the team with 16.3 points a game, while adding 4.4 assists a game, Alexander is scoring 14.0 points and grabbing 2.6 rebounds a game, while Thompson is averaging 11.3 points and a team-high 9.2 rebounds a contest.
Tipoff is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Reed Arena in College Station. The matchup will be televised on the SEC Network.