Aggies qualify to represent U.S.A. this summer

Photo by Errol Anderson

A&M junior Shamier Little won the 400m hurdles with a time of 56.67 seconds.

Seven of Texas A&M’s track athletes competed in the U.S. Outdoor Track & Field Championships at the University of Oregon this past weekend and six more competed in the USATF Junior Championships.

Now that the time has come and gone to win National Championships, the athletes competed for something bigger at Hayward Field. At stake was a chance to represent the United States this summer at the World Championships in Beijing, China.

A chance to qualify for competition at the Pan Am Championships in Toronto, the Pan Am Juniors in Edmonton, and the NACAC Senior Championships in San Juan, Costa Rica was also up for grabs this past weekend.

In addition to the Aggies competing in Eugene, Latario Collie and Shavez Hart entered into the Bahamas Championships Friday in Nassau. Both of the A&M track stars walked away with national titles in their respective events and will make the trip to Beijing this summer.

On Friday, Collie recorded a triple jump of 55-7½ feet which was good enough to beat out the six other jumpers at the Bahamas Championships. Hart, who competed in the 100 meter dash, finished with a winning time of 10.26. Moving on to Saturday, Hart defended his 200 meter title with a time of 20.45, and Collie placed second in the long jump with a leap of 25-0¾ feet.

Following the meet Sunday, Hart said he was glad to be able to defend his titles.

“I felt a bit winded between rounds due to taking some time off after NCAAs, but I executed my races and came out with the victory,” Hart said. “It feels great to qualify for the World Championships. I’m one step closer to solidifying myself on the world stage.”

Back in the U.S., a pair of Aggie pole vaulters competing in the U.S. Junior meet qualified to compete this summer at the Pan Am Juniors in Edmonton. Audie Wyatt and Sara Kathryn Stevens both won national titles with vaults of 18-0½ and 13-9¼ feet, respectively.

After setting a new personal-record, Stevens said she found herself caught up in the moment.

“I was so excited I had set a PR I didn’t know if any others had made it,” Stevens said. “I couldn’t believe it when someone told me nobody else had cleared that height. It was very unexpected.”

Along with the two Aggies competing in the Junior Championships, A&M junior Shelbi Vaughan punched her ticket to the World Championships in Beijing Saturday when she captured the bronze in the discus.

Capping off the weekend with a bang for Texas A&M was sophomore hurdler Shamier Little. Little became the first hurdler to win NCAA and USATF titles in the same season since 2004, and in doing so earned a spot at the World’s in Beijing this summer.

Her 53.83 winning time helped Little remain undefeated in the event this season, Little said she was overall pleased with her performance.

“I’ve made it so far and accomplished so much,” Little said. “It’s amazing — I never thought I’d get this far. I’m so happy with all of the love and support I’m receiving.”
Joining Little in Beijing will be A&M’s All-American sprinter, Jeneba Tarmoh, who finished third in the 200m dash with a time of 22.44.

• Texas A&M freshman, Audie Wyatt, with his first place medal after winning the pole vault national title. 

Photo by Errol Anderson
  • A&M freshman, Sara Kathryn Stevens, vaulting her way to a national title that earned her a place in the Pan Am Juniors in Edmonton this summer. 

Photo by Errol Anderson