Aggies roll past Hawai’i in Duel of the Desert Opener

Photo by Photo by Kevin Chou

Senior Center Khaalia Hillsman looks to score.  She ended the game with 13 points and 10 rebounds.

The No. 19 Texas A&M women’s basketball team tipped off the Duel in the Desert tournament in Las Vegas, with a commanding 103-59 win against Hawai’i.
The Aggies dominated the game from the get-go, especially on offense. A&M shot 65.6 percent (21-of-32) from the field in the first half. Junior guard Danni Williams led the way in scoring in the first half, netting 16 points. Williams also caught fire from behind the arc in the first half, sinking 4 of 6 three point shots, ending her four game stretch without a made three point shot.
At the end of the first half, the Aggies led 57-27, the most first-half points scored by the Aggies since Dec. 2, 2009.
The second half was more of the same for the Maroon and White: total domination in all facets of the game. Senior center Khaalia Hillsman netted 11 points in the third quarter, capping off her game-high 25 points in just 20 minutes, setting an A&M record by going a perfect 12-of-12 from the field.
Part of Hillsman’s success from the field can be credited to freshman guard Chennedy Carter who found success linking with Hillsman in the paint, creating easy layups. Carter finished the game with a career-high 11 assists.
Hillsman and Carter were four of the five starters who did not see playing time in the fourth quarter. The lopsided scoreline allowed head coach Gary Blair to distribute playing time to his bench players, allowing them to gain experience that they are not accustomed too as Blair typically utilizes only seven players per game.
Junior Caylinne Martin used the extended minutes to her advantage posting a career-high nine points on 4-for-4 shooting from the field. Additionally, the Aggies played stout defense, forcing Hawai’i into making nine turnovers and shooting 20 percent (5-of-24) behind the arc. The explosive offense in tandem with the solid defense gave the Aggies a handed 103-59 victory.
The Aggies will look to keep their momentum going as they face No. 9 Oregon for the second time this season on Thursday.  Oregon won the two teams first matchup this season 83-68 on Nov. 16. The game can be heard on The Zone 1150 AM/102.7 FM in Bryan-College Station and online at 12thMan.com. Tipoff is slated for 2 p.m.