No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Aggies win big against Warhawks before heading into matchup with No.1 Alabama

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

The Aggies rushed for a total of 281 yards. 

Many people thought a game against the University of Louisiana-Monroe sandwiched between No. 2 Clemson and No. 1 Alabama would be a “trap game” for the Texas A&M football team, but the Aggies proved the opposite. A&M handed ULM a 48-10 loss on Saturday night in front of 96,727 people at Kyle Field.
“We went out and did the things we needed to do,” A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher said. “Overall, I thought ULM did really well. In the first half, they gave us all kinds of problems. I thought they did a great job on offense of getting to the edge, we missed some tackles and gave up the deep ball. Give ULM credit, they made plays and in the second half our defense did a much better job and offensively we stayed very efficient.”
The Aggies started a bit slow, but jumped out to a 17-3 lead thanks to a touchdown run in the first quarter from junior running back Trayveon Williams, another in the second quarter from sophomore quarterback Kellen Mond, and a 40-yard field goal in the second quarter from freshman kicker Seth Small.
With 1:21 left in the first half, ULM lined up to attempt a field goal, but the kick was blocked by senior defensive tackle Daylon Mack and then returned 78 yards for a touchdown by junior middle linebacker Tyrel Dodson. The return gave the Aggies a much-needed seven points as ULM would score their lone touchdown of the game with four seconds left in the first half.
“We practice that every day in practice, and it’s never came to me like that in practice,” Dodson said. “I was kind of surprised it came straight to me, but I was ready for it and me being the scoop-and-score player, I was right there and able to score a touchdown.”
A&M intended to establish the run game from the start, like Fisher and offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey have tried to do in all three games the Aggies have played this season. Junior running back Trayveon Williams had 10 carries in the first quarter alone, totaling 81 yards and one touchdown, while sophomore quarterback Kellen Mond carried the ball three times for 27 yards in the first quarter. After the first, the Aggies continued running the ball, not only with Williams, but with Mond as well.
“Coach Fisher said that was a key point of the night, being able to establish the run,” Williams said. “We kind of struggled with that last week, so it was a key point for this week to be able to go out there and establish the run, take some throws off Kellen and just see what the backs can do.”
With senior starting kicker Daniel LaCamera out due to a foot injury, Small was forced to take over kicking duties for the night and he stepped up to the challenge. Small was perfect, knocking down six extra points and two field goals, one from 40 yards and one from 36 yards.
“Seth, how about the way he stepped up tonight as a freshman?” Fisher said. “He hit those field goals, and I mean hit them. He did a great job. He played really well.”
The Aggies will travel to Tuscaloosa next Saturday to take on No. 1 Alabama. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. and the game will be televised nationally on CBS.