Alex Robinson to leave A&M basketball team

Freshman point guard Alex Robinson splits two defenders as he drives into the paint.
Photo by Cody Franklin

The Texas A&M basketball program announced Monday that sophomore point guard Alex Robinson decided to leave the team and is seeking a transfer.
“You never want that to happen,” Kennedy said. “To say it was a surpise, no, that’s one of the reasons we went out and got Anthony Collins because we knew that we needed to have some depth and needed some help at that spot.”
Last season, Robinson played in 32 games and averaged 5.2 points per contest. Sharing the backcourt with then-junior Alex Caruso, Robinson compiled 84 assists.
The 6-foot-1 guard saw his best play at the end of last season, amassing a career-high with 21 points in the final matchup against Louisiana Tech and two double-digit scoring outings in the preceding contests.
During the offseason, however, head coach Billy Kennedy added South Florida transfer Anthony Collins to the roster. Robinson did not play in the season opener last Friday, while Collins — who led the AAC in assists last year — started at point and alternated with Caruso — who led the SEC in assists last season.
“We know that Admon [Gilder] can play some point,” Kennedy said. “Caruso we needed to start working him more at the point, that’s something we haven’t done a whole lot in practice but you could see Alex at the point.”
Texas A&M is 2-0 after the 100-58 win over Southeastern Louisiana Monday night.