Justin Chen, Sports Writer • May 12, 2024

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for Texas A&M baseball. Dominant for most of the season, the Aggies showed signs of weakness in their...

Allemand hits first career walk off to even series on senior weekend

Saturday afternoon the Aggies and South Carolina played one of their best baseball games of the season. In a high scoring, power hitting affair, the Aggies erased deficits of 5-0, 9-6 and 13-9, and a Blake Allemand walk off double gave the Aggies a 15-14 win over the Gamecocks in game two of the series. The teams combined for 29 runs in the game, and the win keeps A&M’s hopes alive for an SEC regular season title.
“Neither team quit all day long,” said A&M head coach Rob Childress. “We’re down 5-0, it would have been really easy to say it wasn’t our day…it took everything that every one of us had to be able to finish that. I couldn’t be more proud of everyone.”
South Carolina (29-22, 11-15 SEC) jumped out to an early lead with some big power hitting. After taking a 2-0 lead in the second inning, a two run home run would help the Gamecocks to a 4-0 lead. The next batter hit a mammoth solo shot to the railroad tracks to push the lead to 5-0 after four innings.
Ryan Hendrix had trouble on the mound all day, struggling to find the strike zone from the start. While he did tally seven strikeouts on the day, he would last 3 1/3 inning, allowing five earned runs while walking five batters.
 The Aggies (42-8, 17-8 SEC) would get in the board in the fourth with RBI from Hunter Melton and JB Moss to make it a 5-2 game. Logan Nottebrok hit a two run shot to center field to bring the Aggies within one, and A&M trailed 5-4 after four frames of play.
 A&M would gain their first lead of the day in the sixth inning. After Blake Allemand scored on a passed ball to tie the game, Nick Banks would smack an RBI double for the 6-5 lead.
 South Carolina would have another scoring outburst in the seventh and eighth innings. The Gamecocks, thanks to great two out hitting, would score four runs off reliever Matt Kent in the seventh, and two home runs in the eighth would give the Gamecocks a 13-9 lead.
 Of course, staying in theme with the game, the Aggies would respond. After a JB Moss sacrifice fly made it 9-7, Ryne Birk decided to join the home run palooza and hit a two run dinger, his fifth of the year, to tie the game 9-9 at the end of six innings. Hunter Melton would enter the home run derby with his own solo jack to cut the lead to 13-10, and in the eighth inning, Birk hit another two run homer, his second home run of the day, to bring A&M within one at 13-12 after eight frames. Birk led the team offensively, posting four RBI and two home runs on the day.
 ”I think we know our offense is as good as it gets,” said Birk. “We never get too down, and we know we can always come back. We’ve done it the whole year. We just stayed positive and found a way to win today.”
 The Aggies would complete the comeback in the ninth inning. Trailing 14-12, Melton would crack his second homer of the day to make it 14-13. Then, with runners on the corners, Allemand would hit the walk off double to right center field for the 15-14 win. The 7,296 in attendance at Olsen went haywire.
 ”That guy was struggling throwing strikes, I was looking for a fastball just trying to get [Moss] in from third base that was my first priority,” said Allemand about his walk off hit. “I saw it going into the gap, I was just hoping it went down, and then I was just telling ]Choruby] to get home from first…it was incredible. My first ever walk off hit comes on senior weekend, which is pretty surreal. Today is my dad’s birthday, so it’s a great gift too to him.”
The two teams combined to hit nine home runs with 36 total hits on the afternoon. It is the Aggies’ first win over South Carolina in program history. A&M will look for the series win on Sunday afternoon. Game time is set for 1:05 p.m.