Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

A&M picked third in division as LaViolette and Montgomery named preseason All-SEC

Photo by Photo by A Nguyen

Freshman OF Jace LaViolette (17) hits a ground ball during Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss at Olsen Field on Sunday, April 2, 2023.

With opening day just over a week away, Texas A&M baseball earned preseason recognition from the SEC on Thursday, Feb. 8. The league’s coaches projected the Aggies to finish third in the Western division behind Arkansas and reigning national champion LSU.

On an individual basis, sophomore OF Jace LaViolette was named to the All-SEC first team while junior OF and RHP Braden Montgomery received second team recognition.

Both players were unanimous Preseason All-Americans and earned preseason distinction from Perfect Game, D1Baseball, Baseball America and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association. The duo paired up on the USA Collegiate National Team last summer.

LaViolette started from the get-go as a true freshman in 2023. He wrapped up the season with a .287 batting average and a team-high 21 home runs, 63 runs batted in and 18 stolen bases. His .835 slugging percentage in SEC action led the conference, while his 21 long balls were most ever by an A&M freshman.

LaViolette placed in the Top 10 in the SEC in home runs and RBI along with 48 walks as four outlets awarded him Freshman All-American status.

Montgomery transferred to A&M after two seasons as a two-way player at Stanford, where he was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year in 2022. He led the Cardinal to a Pac-12 Championship and College World Series berth with a .294 average, 18 home runs and 57 RBI.

Last season, Stanford returned to Omaha as Montgomery hit .364 with 17 homers and 61 RBI. The Cardinal repeated as Pac-12 champions before Montgomery became the top transfer available in the offseason.

The Aggies kick off the season versus McNeese State at Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park on Feb. 16-18.