A&M soccer loses 2-1 to Ole Miss for second consecutive loss

Photo by Photo by Brian Okosun

Senior midfielder Ashlynn Harryman kicks the ball down the field.

The Texas A&M soccer team hit the road against the Ole Miss Rebels, dropping the match 2-1 in Oxford.

Sophomore Emily Bates opened the scoring after eight minutes had passed in the second half, netting her third goal on the season. But the Rebels (8-7, 4-4 SEC) responded with two goals near the end of the game.

With 13 minutes left, junior Bella Fiorenzo tied the match on a free kick from the left side of the penalty box. Following Fiorenzo’s goal, freshman CeCe Kizer scored the game winning goal with seven minutes left.

The Rebels had 18 shots for the match compared to A&M’s nine, and Ole Miss’s keeper Mannie Merritt made five saves to secure the win for her team, as senior keeper Danielle Rice had two saves to send her team into the half scoreless.

A&M (7-7-1, 2-5-1 SEC) has now lost two straight conference games after a 2-0 loss to Tennessee on Oct. 9 and will look to rebound against Kentucky.

Head coach G Guerrieri said this loss was tough to handle after taking the lead and letting it slip away late in the match.

“This is one that is hard to handle,” head coach G Guerrieri told 12thman.com. “We did everything right for most of the match to be in a position to win. We got Emily (Bates) back into the offense and in her limited action she was able to produce a goal. Then we were able to get other things going on the offensive end. But once again we were unable to finish our chances. And then we make two bad mistakes on defense in the last 15 minutes and Ole Miss took advantage of them, so they got the three points from this match.”
The Aggies return to the pitch on Oct. 20 as they host Kentucky at Ellis Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. and will broadcast on the SEC Network + and can be heard on 1550 AM.