Athletic director Ross Bjork departs A&M for Ohio State

Photo by Photo by Chris Swann/The Battalion

Texas A&M Athletic Director Ross Bjork speaks to the media during a press conference on Sunday, Nov. 12, 2023 at Kyle Field. Bjork, after terminating Head Coach Jimbo Fisher Sunday morning, said he felt the football program is “stuck in neutral” and didn’t meet the standards of consistency the program needed. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

Following over four years at the helm of Texas A&M athletics, Director of Athletics Ross Bjork is taking the same position at Ohio State, the school announced on Tuesday, Jan. 16. Bjork had overseen the Aggies’ athletic department since his hiring on May 23, 2019.

“Ross Bjork has played a pivotal role in advancing Texas A&M University’s athletics programs and contributing to the overall success of our student-athletes,” Texas A&M President Mark A. Welsh III said. “We extend our heartfelt gratitude for the lasting impact he has had on our student-athletes, coaches, staff and the 12th Man. We wish him great success as he joins the tremendous leadership team at Ohio State University; they are lucky to have him and his family.”

Bjork came to Aggieland from Ole Miss, where he served as Director of Athletics since 2012 when he was the youngest athletic director among Power 5 schools. From 2010 to 2012, Bjork served as Director of Intercollegiate Athletics at Western Kentucky. His career has also seen him hold positions at Western Illinois, Missouri, Miami and UCLA. 

Bjork oversaw the hiring of a number of coaches in College Station, most recently in Mike Elko to head the football program after the termination of Jimbo Fisher. The school owed Fisher a buyout of nearly $77 million, due in part to a contract extension offered by Bjork in 2021.

The Emporia State graduate brought in baseball coach Jim Schlossnagle, women’s basketball coach Joni Taylor, volleyball coach Jamie Morrison and softball coach Trisha Ford. Taylor took over after the retirement of Hall of Fame coach Gary Blair, while Schlossnagle, Morrison and Ford were hired after their predecessors were fired.

Alongside the 12th Man Foundation, Bjork helped organize the Centennial Campaign that fundraised $120 million for the construction of an Academic and Wellness Center, Davis Player Development Center at the Graham Athletic Complex, R.A. “Murray” Fasken ’38 Indoor Track and Field facility and an indoor tennis complex.

“All of us at Texas A&M are committed to maintaining the momentum of our athletics programs,” Welsh said. “A committee will be formed quickly to identify a new Director of Athletics, and I look forward to welcoming that leader to Aggieland as soon as possible.”