Courtney Williams, Team U.S.A., capture silver medal at Pan Am Games in Toronto

Photo by Garrett W. Ellwood

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO – JULY 6: USA Basketball Women’s U-19 National Team and the USA Basketball Women’s Pan American Games Team at the US Olympic Training Center on June 20, 2015 in Colorado Springs, Colorado. (Photo by Garrett W. Ellwood/USAB)

Courtney Williams, senior guard for the Texas A&M women’s basketball team, was selected this summer to compete in the Pan American Games as a part of Team U.S.A.

The senior guard for Texas A&M lead the team this past season in points per game (14.6) and 3-point field goal percentage (.345). She also ranked among the top three on the team in nearly every other category.

Team U.S.A wrapped up its campaign in the 2015 Pan American Games Monday when they finished second overall and earned silver medal honors. The women’s American team fell to Canada in the gold-medal game, 81-73. Williams finished the tournament with 10 points, nine rebounds and five assists. She started the first two games of the tournament for Team U.S.A.

“It was an honor to be with the other great college players,” Williams said. “I had never been to Toronto before so the experience out there was great, the vibe, seeing athletes from all around the country — all that was special.”

Williams said competing against the international talent gave her a new perspective on how the game is played around the globe, and the new level of competition had an impact on her and her game.

“It makes me want to be a better player. It makes me set my goals higher, trying to push for national player of the year and SEC player of the year,” Williams said. “I just want to push my teammates and myself to reach those ultimate goals.”

Looking back on her time as a part of Team U.S.A., Williams said it wasn’t travelling to a new place or even winning the silver medal that proved most memorable; instead, it was something that transcends competition and conferences.

“[It was] the friendships that I made with my teammates,” Williams said. “Basketball does build bonds with different players from around the country so I’m going to enjoy being able to support them.”