Fisher hoists reserve championship at AQHA Collegiate Horsemanship Challenge

Only one Aggie was represented at the AQHA Collegiate Horsemanship Challenge, Kaci Fisher. That was no problem, as Fisher rode her way to winning the reserve championship for her school.

A&M equestrian has been in the shadows of other top-notch equestrian programs, specifically under the other SEC schools like the No. 1 Georgia Bulldogs and defending national champions, South Carolina. However, individual efforts have proved successful in the progression of the team’s 2015-16 campaign.

Texas A&M equestrian (4-1) was represented by Fisher at the AQHA Collegiate Horsemanship Challenge Sunday and Monday. The event was hosted in Oklahoma City as a portion of the Lucas Oil AQHA World Championship Show. An individual from each NCEA institution was selected to compete in the competition.

Fisher’s victories in qualifications and the semis propelled her to compete in the finals of the challenge which pitted her against Georgia’s Anderson, Baylor’s Brown, and TCU’s Megan McMullen. Despite the slope of competition, she was able to earn the championship.

Fisher competed against strong representatives Sunday, where she advanced to the semifinals after scoring a 146 on her opening qualification run. To follow, Fisher she rode a 152 over her competition’s 146.5 in the semis.

Prior to the invite to Oklahoma, Fisher tied her opponent at 72.5 in the team’s most recent upset win over No. 2 at-the-time Auburn. Against the New Mexico State Aggies, Kaci Fisher, along with A&M riders in every other event, was crowned with MVP honors in horsemanship, which led to an 8-0 sweep in the western half of competition. Even in the Aggies only defeat of the season, Fisher was able to earn a horsemanship point against No. 1 Georgia.
Aggie equestrian returns as a team to compete on the east coast in Felton, Delaware, Friday and Saturday for a double-header event. The Aggies will first take on Kansas State Friday morning at 9:30 a.m., and will conclude the meet with the host, Delaware State, Saturday morning at 7:30 a.m.