Five Takeaways from Friday Night Lights at Kyle Field

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

Quarterback Trevor Knights points at a receiver while warming up.

The Aggies took to Kyle Field Friday night for their Friday Night Lights scrimmage. The scrimmage featured the A&M offense in maroon against the defense in white.

The scrimmage consisted of a series of drives from the first and second string offense against the defense from various parts of the field, ranging from the 25-yard to the red zone. Here are five things to take away from the scrimmage.

1) Myles Garrett remains a beast.

In a controlled snap count throughout the night, Garrett recorded three sacks. He was most effective in speed rushing off the edge and showed a quick first step coming off the line. Garrett played with an edge that should get fans excited, and his swagger on the field appears to be rubbing off on the rest of the front seven.

2) Kwame Etwi made a statement.

In an offense loaded with running backs that feature both Oklahoma transfer Keith Ford and anticipated recruit Trayveon Williams, Etwi made a strong case for more carries and contributing to a potential complete running game this upcoming season. He will continue to compete with James White and Kendall Bussey for carries but two carries of 30 plus yards showed good vision and the rising sophomore showed lateral quickness to find creases in the defense.

3) Trevor Knight can run.

The most anticipated addition to the A&M offense seemed to show a little rust with some of his throws that should improve with more time to gel with his receivers and learn the offense. But Knight’s athleticism both in and out of the pocket was on display. Knight’s running ability is underrated and a very valuable asset for the Aggie offense.

4) The offensive line is still rough around the edges.

The departures of Germain Ifedi and Mike Matthews left some holes to fill in the offensive line, and the lack of depth showed. The offensive line allowed some penetration from the talented defensive line and struggled with procedural penalties, particularly at the goal line.

5) The secondary has improved its coverage, but not tackling.

The Aggie offense was able to break off multiple long pass plays from short completions followed by missed tackles in the secondary. Despite a noticeable improvement in coverage, mostly assisted by a strong pass rush, the secondary still needs to sure up tackling to limit big plays which unraveled them at times last season.

The Aggies will end their spring season with their annual maroon and white game next Friday  where many roster spots will be decided before moving to the fall season.