Texas A&M pitcher Chris Cortez (10) delivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Tarleton State on Tuesday, April 30, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Cortez selected by Los Angeles Angels with 45th pick in 2024 MLB Draft

Junior RHP Chris Cortez was selected by the Los Angeles Angels with the 45th pick in the second round of the 2024 MLB Draft on Sunday, continuing...

Five things to know for Football Thursday

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Head coach Jimbo Fisher sang the War Hymn on Kyle Field for the first time following the game.

Aug. 30 marks the first time Texas A&M football has hosted a Thursday game while school is in session, excluding Thanksgiving games and the 2005 Texas State game in late September which was moved to Thursday in preparation for Hurricane Rita.   So you might ask, ‘What do I need to know about Thursday?’ Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
1) PARKING, PARKING AND PARKING
Starting at noon, certain parking lots will no longer allow vehicles to enter. 
Noon – lots 61, 62 and 74 
1:00 p.m. – lots 48, 60, 65, 67, 69, 72, 95, 97, 100, WCG, CSS and UCG.
Certain lots will be vacated to make room for game day visitors. Be sure to move your car before your lot or garage’s designated time: 
2:30 p.m. – lots 61, 62, 65, 67 and 74. 
3:30 p.m. – lots 48, 60, 69, 72, 95, 97, 100, WCG, CSS and UCG.
5:30 p.m. – lots 18, 30e, 64, 70, 73, 98 and 114.
2) ARE BUSES RUNNING THE SAME?
On-campus bus routes will operate under their normal schedule until 3:30 p.m., when bus route frequency is reduced. At 5 p.m., many buses will transition to gameday service, meaning some regular stops may be unavailable or moved. Most off-campus routes will also start out on their regular schedules, but some routes may end early or be altered to accommodate gameday routes. A full list of changes is available online.
 3) IS CLASS CANCELLED?
No. (Unless your professor says otherwise).
 4) ALTERNATE WAYS TO GET AROUND
If you are one of the many students affected by the parking changes, you might want to consider taking an Uber or Lyft to class. Both rideshare services are offering $10 dollar discounts alid for two trips. If you and your roommates or friends have similar schedules, carpool. Not only will you reduce the number of cars on the road, you help save the environment. Or if you live close enough to campus to bike, Ofo is offering 10 free rides with a promo code. Finally, if you’re alright with braving the heat, you can walk to class.
 5) WAIT, WHAT TIME IS MIDNIGHT YELL?
Unfortunately, you can’t sarcastically say “Uh, midnight” when the freshman in your class asks what time Midnight Yell is this week. Yell Practice will be held on Wednesday at 10 p.m.
For other helpful tips, bus schedules and a complete list of changes, check out footballthursday.tamu.edu.