Former Texas A&M linebacker victim in fatal shooting

Photo by PROVIDED

Antonio Armstrong was a key piece in the famous A&M defenses which was coined The Wrecking Crew under former head coach R. C. Slocum. 

Former A&M linebacker, Antonio Armstrong, died last Friday at Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston after being shot in the head by his 16-year-old son at home.

Armstrong’s wife, Dawn, was also shot and killed by their son, but was pronounced dead at their home.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Antonio Armstrong and his family, his old teammates and the entire Aggie family,” A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin said in a statement. “This is a terrible tragedy and our hearts are broken.”

Armstrong, 42, played at A&M from 1991-94 and was named a first team AP All-American at linebacker in 1994 after leading the SWC in sacks and tackles for loss. He was considered a cornerstone of the ‘Wrecking Crew’, of the early 90’s.

Along with his All-American honors, Armstrong was named to the first team All-Southwest Conference team in 1993 and 1994. He never lost a game at Kyle Field, helping build a 26-game home winning streak for the Aggies, which at the time was a national record. Armstrong totaled 154 career tackles including 18 sacks and 31 tackles for loss for A&M.

Armstrong was drafted in the sixth round of the 1995 NFL Draft by the San Francisco 49ers, but was released that October from their practice squad after suffering an ankle fracture in Training Camp. Armstrong then signed with the Miami Dolphins just a day after being released and was placed on the active roster a week later. Armstrong played in four games for the Dolphins that season, recording four solo tackles.

Armstrong signed with the St. Louis Rams for the 1996 season, but was later released after training camp. He then played three seasons in the Canadian Football League with the British Columbia Lions and Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Armstrong retired in 2002 due to physical issues.
Following his pro football career, Armstrong returned to his hometown of Houston where he owned and operated a chain of fitness centers while serving as an associate pastor at Spirit and Life Kingdom Center.

“Antonio was a special young man,” former A&M head coach R.C. Slocum, who coached Armstrong at A&M, said in a statement. “He was an All-American and an outstanding player, but he was an even better person. He was such a positive influence on his teammates. He always had a great big smile and was a joy to coach.”

Funeral arrangements for Armstrong and his wife are still being planned.