Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

Photo by Kyle Heise
Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&M’s game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio Spurs Summer League team. After going undrafted this year, the 25 year old guard is on a mission to show NBA scouts what he can bring to the table.

In his final year at Texas A&M, Radford was one of the best players on the team. Radford and junior guard Wade Taylor IV formed a terrific backcourt that led the program to the round of 32 in the March Madness tournament. Radford was a gifted scorer and wasn’t afraid of contact; he brought toughness, effort, and leadership to the team. The 5th year senior was an amazing player for the Maroon and White and even though he was not selected in this year’s NBA draft, I believe there are adjustments that he can make to get noticed by NBA scouts. 

1: Improved shot selection

Something that Radford has to be more of is consistent. In the 2024 college basketball season, he shot only 41% from the field. As a 25 year old prospect, Radford will need to be efficient if he wants a chance to play at the highest level. While he was able to score through contact, many times he found himself shooting over multiple defenders and forcing tougher shots. If Radford could eliminate some bad shot selections and improve his shooting percentage, his game will be looked at very differently.

2: 3-Point shooting

In the modern NBA, the 3-point shot has become crucial for perimeter players. Being able to knock down shots from deep is a must if you want to succeed in the big league which is something that Radford could definitely improve upon. In the 2024 college B=basketball season, he shot only 28% from deep on 4 attempts per game. He will need to prove that he’s developed his outside shot in the Summer League  to have a shot of getting noticed. 

3: Playmaking

As a 6’3 guard, Radford will need to be able to distribute the ball and create points for his teammates. While this is not totally out of his game, Radford could definitely improve on his playmaking ability. During his final year with the Maroon and White, Radford averaged less than 3 assists per game and only