Technology management sophomore Ashley Mendoza and communication junior Madeline Sturm work at the MSC Help Desk on Monday, Nov. 20, 2023. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
University classes canceled due to IT outage
An error released in an update to Windows devices has shut down A&M’s technology network

Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

Intramural basketball team Family Part 2 loses hard-fought playoff game

Photo by Ethan Brown
Education senior Abby Ross crashes the offensive glass in the 4th quarter during Family Part 2’s game against Christian Mingle on March 26, 2024 at the A&M Rec Center. (Ethan Brown/JOUR 359 Contributor)

Family Part 2 made the coed intramural basketball playoffs with a 2-1 regular season record as a 27-seed but was unable to advance in the tournament.

Facing 3-0 and third-ranked Christian Mingle in the first round of playoffs, Family Part 2 played a well-rounded game but came up short, 59-53, ending its season. Family Part 2’s only regular season loss came in a game where it had four players.

Starting strong by taking an early 12-4 lead behind two 3-pointers, Christian Mingle went on an 8-point run to tie the game at 12. As the first quarter ended, biomedical sciences senior Farris Safadi hit a buzzer-beating floater to help Family Part 2 finish the quarter 16-12.

The second quarter was more back-and-forth, with Family Part 2 up 27-22 at one point. Back-to-back 3-pointers by each team took the game to halftime with a score of 30-25.

“We felt really good going into this game; unfortunately, we couldn’t pull it out,” Safadi said.

Christian Mingle started the second half hot, bringing it within two points before a big three-pointer by Safadi ended the run. Christian Mingle kept fighting, eventually making it a 40-39 game. Another Safadi 3-pointer plus a foul converted to a 4-point play to end the third quarter 44-39.

Christian Mingle went on a scoring frenzy in the fourth quarter with a 13-4 run, giving it a four-point lead halfway through the fourth. Down in crunch time, Family Part 2 tried to pick up the intensity on defense.

The increased physicality was the downfall as computer engineering senior Jaiah Steele and Farris Safadi fouled out with around two minutes remaining. Down two starters, Family Part 2 struggled to get a stop and couldn’t complete the comeback for a loss that ended the season.

“I wish I could have been out there to close out the game, but we had a great season,” Steele said.

Ethan Brown is a sport management senior and contributed this article from JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.