Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy CoxApril 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Intramural basketball team Family Part 2 loses hard-fought playoff game

Photo by Ethan Brown
Education senior Abby Ross crashes the offensive glass in the 4th quarter during Family Part 2’s game against Christian Mingle on March 26, 2024 at the A&M Rec Center. (Ethan Brown/JOUR 359 Contributor)

Family Part 2 made the coed intramural basketball playoffs with a 2-1 regular season record as a 27-seed but was unable to advance in the tournament.

Facing 3-0 and third-ranked Christian Mingle in the first round of playoffs, Family Part 2 played a well-rounded game but came up short, 59-53, ending its season. Family Part 2’s only regular season loss came in a game where it had four players.

Starting strong by taking an early 12-4 lead behind two 3-pointers, Christian Mingle went on an 8-point run to tie the game at 12. As the first quarter ended, biomedical sciences senior Farris Safadi hit a buzzer-beating floater to help Family Part 2 finish the quarter 16-12.

The second quarter was more back-and-forth, with Family Part 2 up 27-22 at one point. Back-to-back 3-pointers by each team took the game to halftime with a score of 30-25.

“We felt really good going into this game; unfortunately, we couldn’t pull it out,” Safadi said.

Christian Mingle started the second half hot, bringing it within two points before a big three-pointer by Safadi ended the run. Christian Mingle kept fighting, eventually making it a 40-39 game. Another Safadi 3-pointer plus a foul converted to a 4-point play to end the third quarter 44-39.

Christian Mingle went on a scoring frenzy in the fourth quarter with a 13-4 run, giving it a four-point lead halfway through the fourth. Down in crunch time, Family Part 2 tried to pick up the intensity on defense.

The increased physicality was the downfall as computer engineering senior Jaiah Steele and Farris Safadi fouled out with around two minutes remaining. Down two starters, Family Part 2 struggled to get a stop and couldn’t complete the comeback for a loss that ended the season.

“I wish I could have been out there to close out the game, but we had a great season,” Steele said.

Ethan Brown is a sport management senior and contributed this article from JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.