Johnny Manziel’s case referred to grand jury

Photo by Courtesy

The former Heisman Trophy winner is still without a team after getting released by the Browns.

The police investigation over an alleged domestic violence incident between Johnny Manziel and his ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley on January 29 has now been referred to a grand jury.
The case has been referred to the Dallas County District Attorney’s office after apparent difficulties within the Dallas police department have caused the investigation to go slower than previously expected. After trying to have all the evidence collected by Friday the 19th, the lead detective was delayed when assigned to a two-week patrol, as part of a new policy by the Dallas Police.
The investigation stems from a order of protection sought out by Crowley, who claims that Manziel struck her in her left ear rupturing her ear drum at a hotel in Dallas. Crowley claims she and Manziel had a confrontation in a hotel room before the two drove to her car parked some distance away. Manziel then allegedly continued to drive her car, even at one point dragging her back into the vehicle when she tried to escape and hitting her. The order of protection orders Manziel to remain 500 feet away from her and pay $12,000 in legal costs.
The incident is yet another scandal during Manziel’s young NFL career, who has been reported to show an unsatisfying work habit and partying during his free time despite attending 10 weeks of alcohol rehab after his rookie season. The Dallas Police have sent in the evidence the request that it be reviewed as a misdemeanor assault case.
If the jury rules against Manziel and he is convicted, he could face up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine. Beyond the possible legal implications, Manziel’s opportunities in the NFL  could continue to grow slimmer as the NFL has taken a recent stand against domestic violence following the suspensions of Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice and now Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy.