Kevin Sumlin responds to racist letter sent to house

Photo by By Alex Miller

Texas A&M head football coach Kevin Sumlin was proud of the university’s decision to cancel the white lives matter protest.

Following A&M’s 24-14 victory over Nicholls State, Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin addressed the racially charged letter sent to his house earlier this week that his wife, Charlene, posted to Twitter Thursday night. 
“I’ve done this a long time,” Sumlin said. “I get all kinds of mail… In this situation,  for that to come to my home and for her [Charlene Sumlin] to open it, I think that is completely different.”
Sumlin said regardless of what has transpired on the field and his performance as a coach, his family should be left out. 
“My wife and kids have never called a play,” Sumlin said. “My wife and kids have never done anything football wise that led to us losing a game or winning a game.” 
Sumlin added that he is open to criticism and suggestions but once racism and threats start to come, that’s where he draws the line. 
“Once it comes to my business, that’s fine and suggestions, that’s fine. But the racial piece of that is one part of it but the open ended threat at my house I have to draw the line there. She didn’t like it, she didn’t feel safe about it, my kids didn’t feel safe about it.” Sumlin said. 
According to Sumlin, the Brazos County Sheriff’s office is working closely with the family to make sure they are safe. 
“I want to thank the Brazos County Sheriff’s Office for what they’re doing right now,” Sumlin said. 
Sumlin appreciated the help from law enforcement and the outpouring of support following the letter, but was still angry about the situation. 
“I want to thank all the people who have sent me notes, text messages, calls things like that,” Sumlin said. “Cause, that’s important too. But when you cross a line like that with people who have nothing to do with decisions I make when it comes to my job, thats not okay.” 

• On Thursday night, Charlene Sumlin tweeted a picture of a racist hate letter received by the family. 

Photo by VIA Charlene Sumlin's Twitter