Freshman Heather Abadie stalls out during the pole vaulting competition at the SEC Indoor Track and Field Championship on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2022.
Soaring for success
Youngchan Kang, JOUR 359 contributor • May 8, 2024

Supported by an athletic family background, junior Heather Abadie has continued to soar toward her ultimate Olympic goal as she sits atop Texas...

Late homer downs No. 1 A&M in game one of SEC Tournament

Melton and the Aggies were kept at bay on Friday.

As the No. 1 ranked team in the country, A&M entered their Wednesday morning heavyweight bout with Vanderbilt and came out of the corner swinging. The two fighters went punch for punch in a classic postseason contest. A&M and Vanderbilt both took their licks and rolled with them.
In the end however, it was a freshman pinch-hitter that tagged-in and delivered the fatal blow.
A see-saw affair entered the late stages favoring the Aggies. However, a run in the eighth then clutch solo home run by Vanderbilt’s Walker Grisanti in the ninth inning helped the Commodores to a 6-5 win over A&M Wednesday morning.
It took a frame, but the Aggies (41-14, 20-10 SEC) were on the scoreboard first in the second inning. After Ryne Birk and Nick Banks singles, the Aggies faced two outs on the board. Jonathan Moroney delivered a two-run single off the wall that gave A&M an early 2-0 lead.
In the next at-bat, Austin Homan drove home Moroney with an RBI triple that extended the A&M lead to 3-0 after two.
Vanderbilt (43-15, 18-12 SEC) socked that early punch right back at the Aggies. With A&M starter Andrew Vinson seemingly rolling, a throwing error by Homan brought Birk off the second base bag for what was the third out, and helped the Commodores load the bases.
Will Toffey slapped a two-run single that cut the Vanderbilt deficit to 3-2. Connor Kaiser followed up the next at-bat with an RBI single that made it a 3-3 game. All three runs were unearned for Vinson.
Two-out hitting was once again a major component of the Aggie offense. A&M scored all five of their runs with two outs, going 7-for-15 from the plate in those situations.
The Aggie lineup was on two different ends of the spectrum. The top of the dangerous order struggled, as hitters one through four went a combined 1-for-17 with two strikeouts. However, the seven, eight and nine hitters produced a 6-for-10 day with five RBI, two doubles, one triple and two walks.
Julian Infante gave the Commodores the lead back in the fifth. He jacked a solo shot that granted Vanderbilt a 4-3 lead.
However, the tough to knockout Aggies came back swinging one more time. With two outs in the bottom of the sixth, Michael Barash got on with a single. Nick Banks followed that up with an RBI double to tie the game at 4-4.
Vinson had a solid day on the mound for A&M. The senior, in his third career start, worked six innings and allowed four runs (one earned) on seven hits with three strikeouts.
Following a walk to Moroney, Homan delivered his second RBI of the day with a single that helped A&M take a 5-4 lead with them all the way to the eighth inning.
Vanderbilt led off the eighth with three straight singles, one of them being a bunt which pitcher Mark Ecker fell down fielding, and the bases were loaded with no outs. A sacrifice fly by Kaiser drove in the tying run that made it 5-5 heading to the ninth.
To leadoff the frame, Vanderbilt decided to try freshman Walker Grisanti at pinch-hitter. The decision paid off in a big way, as the youngster crushed a solo shot to right that gave Vanderbilt a 6-5 lead.
A&M put a runner on to start the ninth, but a 3-6-1 double play ended the game.
These two have been in a similar situation before. The schools have met twice in the SEC Tournament in 2013, 2015 and might get a chance at it this year as well. In each of the last two tournaments, A&M won the first meeting with Vanderbilt winning the second.
The loss moves A&M into the losers’ bracket of the SEC Tournament. The Aggies will await the loser for the South Carolina and Ole Miss game Wednesday afternoon. The elimination game will begin at 9:30 a.m. Thursday morning.