Laura Kuhn named new head volleyball coach

Photo by Courtesy of Texas A&M Athletics

Laura “Bird” Kuhn was named Texas A&M’s new head volleyball coach on Saturday.

Laura “Bird” Kuhn has been named the new head volleyball coach at Texas A&M, athletic director Scott Woodward announced Saturday. Kuhn takes the reins in Aggieland after a seven-year tenure at Kansas as the associate head coach and recruiting coordinator.
The Jayhawks saw much success with Kuhn on staff, including a Final Four appearance in 2015 and a Big 12 Championship in 2016. Kuhn also finished her tenure at Kansas with 152 wins and 38 losses (.800 winning percentage).
In addition to her success in on-court performance, Woodward also points to Kuhn’s keen ability to connect with her players and develop them as student-athletes.
“Not only is Bird an exceptional recruiter, but she has an uncanny proven ability to connect with, and develop, student-athletes,” Woodward said in a statement. “She brings an energy, intensity, and no-nonsense approach that we are confident will resonate with our current student-athletes and recruits. We are thrilled for her to become our next head volleyball coach and we welcome her to the Aggie family.”
Kuhn succeeds Laurie Corbelli, who resigned after 25 years as the Aggies’ head coach, and is excited to get the Texas A&M volleyball program back to national prominence.
“When this position opened, I just knew this is where I wanted to be. I am excited for the future of this program and to build on the foundation and tradition already established by the Corbellis,” said Kuhn. “I believe it is possible for this program to have a prominent presence, consistently at the national level.”
Despite coming off a subpar season that finished with a 10-15 overall record, the Aggie volleyball team is loaded with young talent including freshman setter Camille Conner and sophomore outside hitter Hollann Hans who had tremendous success this season.
Prior to her tenure at Kansas, the 35-year-old Kuhn was an assistant coach at the Miami (FL) from (2008-10). Her time at Miami (FL) was highlighted by a 26-6 season in 2008.
Kuhn also had an illustrious career as a player at Georgia Tech, and was the starting outside hitter for three years. Tech advanced to the NCAA tournament in all four of Kuhn’s years, including an Elite 8 appearance in 2003.