No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Men’s golf capture sixth place, women’s golf finish seventh

Texas A&M golf had a busy weekend with both the men’s and women’s teams hitting the East Coast. Despite average performances overall, junior Thanya Pattamakijsakul finished with a career-best showing that resulted in a second place individual finish.

“I am so proud of how Thanya played this weekend,” Texas A&M women’s golf head coach Trelle McCombs said via 12thman.com. “She was so steady and poised, and you can really see her hard work pay off.”

Women’s golf started Friday off at the 3M Augusta Invitational in Augusta, Georgia while the men’s golf team travelled to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to compete in the General Hackler Championship Saturday. Despite Pattamakijsakul’s performance, the women’s golf team managed to only capture seventh place, while the men’s team was able to remain under par for a sixth-place finish.

Women’s golf relied heavily on Pattamakijsakul and sophomore Maddie Szeryk, who led the competition at one point during the second round. Although she was successful early on in the competition, Szeryk landed a 29th place finish with a 8-over par score. The Aggies finished strong Sunday with only 6-over in the final round to finish 32-over in the tournament to earn seventh place as the hosting Augusta won the tournament.

Men’s golf was able to remain under par at the conclusion of the GHC, but was still beat out by a stellar cast of competition. Among A&M’s competitors included No. 17 UNC, No. 23 Virginia,  and SEC foe No. 19 South Carolina. UNC was given an upset by unranked Kent State, who beat the Tar Heels by three strokes, while South Carolina took the tournament with a 23-under finish. The Aggies only finished five-under at the conclusion of the weekend’s event.

The Aggies struggled with Par-4 greens concluding at 19-over, but managed to finish 16-under on Par-5 shots. Although the Gamecocks relied on their stellar performance on Par-4 holes as they managed to be the only team to finish under par. Their performance would end up providing them the opportunity to take first place.

Texas A&M’s men’s golf team returns to the East Coast Monday, Mar. 21 in the Valspar Collegiate Invitational in West Palm Beach, Florida. The women’s team doesn’t plan to just relax in Kane’ohe, Hawaii as they compete in the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational Tuesday, Mar. 22.