No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Men’s golf returns from Ireland with second place

Despite facing less-than-perfect playing conditions in Ireland this past weekend, Texas A&M men’s golf team managed to obtain a second place finish at the Jerry Murray Waterville Invitational.

“Today was one of the most difficult days of golf I’ve seen in my entire career,” Texas A&M head coach J.T. Higgins told 12thman.com Friday. “The wind was blowing between 30 to 40 miles per hour throughout the day with rain off and on coming down sideways. It was obviously tough out there with only four guys in the entire field breaking 80, but I was really proud of our guys for how they battled. They actually had a really good back nine to keep us in it.”

Freshman Max Miller was tied for third place at eight-over par, senior Ben Crancer was in fifth place at nine-over par, while sophomores Connor Black and Andrew Paysse were tied for 11th.

On the second and final day of the Invitational, the Aggies concluded the tournament with a second place finish overall, despite extreme weather conditions making play far more difficult than usual.

“I think we gained a better understanding of how to control our ball in the wind, how to fight it and work with and against the wind.” Texas A&M head coach J.T. Higgins told 12thman.com “That’s why I think this was such a valuable trip — playing in the extreme conditions will definitely help us in any type of weather — fair or foul.”

Sophomore Connor Black led the field for the Aggies alongside teammate senior Ben Crancer earning a third place finish at 12-over par, while freshman Max Miller finished in 10th place at 15-over par and senior Andrew Lister earned an 11th place finish at 16-over par, and freshman Chandler Phillips rounded out the group in 16th place a 18-over par.

Sophomore Andrew Paysse and junior Jake Goodman represented the Aggies individually earning ties for 12th and 31st place respectively.

The next event to for the Texas A&M men’s golf team will be Nov. 2-4 when they head west to Carlsbad, Calif. for the Gifford Collegiate.