Men’s swimming and diving returns home following SEC road win

After a narrow win on the road against SEC rival Kentucky two weeks ago to open the 2015-2016 season, the Texas A&M men’s swimming and diving teams earned a No. 19 ranking in a CollegeSwimming.com poll.

The Aggies are set to host their first home meet of the season against the University of Miami and Incarnate Word on Friday.

Despite missing the opening meet of the season due to an illness, sophomore diver Tyler Henschel said he is ready to compete at home against the best Miami has to offer, which includes an Olympic swimming contender. 

“I know there’s a couple of divers that are from Miami itself and I know one of them is supposed to be going to the next Olympics representing the United States,” said Henschel. “He’s one of the best divers in the U.S. so it’s going to be a fun competition.”

With an elite group of divers coming into Aggieland, Texas A&M head diving coach Jay Lerew feels confident in  the ability of his two international divers, despite their age.

“Well our men are young, Tyler [Henschel] is a sophomore and Sam [Thornton] is a new freshman, and they are very good. They are international type caliber divers,” Lerew said. “So I expect a lot from them and this weekend is going to be a good test.”

After not performing up to personal standards in the opener, senior swimmer Jacob Wallace said he is looking forward to the upcoming meet to return to where he wants to be.

“Personally, at Kentucky I didn’t do too hot,” Wallace said. “So just I just want to try to get the swim I expected.”

Texas A&M head swim coach Jay Holmes was pleased with the way his team performed in Kentucky but looks to build from it throughout the season.

“It’s a different time of the year, it was our first meet we had expectations but we had no idea how those were going to work out,” Holmes said. “Now we have an idea of where we are so I’m looking to find out more about my team. Incarnate Word always has some really good individuals so that’s what we’re going to do — line it up and see who wins.”