Men’s tennis continues nine game win streak after defeating Vanderbilt, No. 18 Kentucky and Prairie View A&M

Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel

The A&M men’s tennis team will compete in the SEC tournament next week in South Carolina.

This past Friday, the Aggies faced off against Vanderbilt in a pivotal SEC matchup. Despite a shaky start, losing the doubles point, the Aggies rebounded to sweep all six singles matches.
Hady Habib, Aj Catanzariti, and Aleksandre Bakshi all shone for the Aggies, as Vanderbilt struggled to keep up with A&M.

Head coach Steve Denton was well aware of his team’s winning streak, but knew there were more important things to focus on.

“If you think about [streaks],” Denton told 12thman.com. “You are not focusing on what you really need to focus on. We just need to go out and compete and see what happens.”

On Sunday, the Maroon and White looked to continue their SEC leading win streak in a doubleheader against No. 18 Kentucky and Prairie View A&M.

Kentucky proved to be a worthy opponent from the get-go, as the Aggies won a tight 4-3 contest. A&M lost the doubles point, Arconada proved his worth again for his squad, as he cinched it for the Ags, just as he had done in four of his last five matches. Catanzariti, Vacherot, and Habib also landed in the win column.

Denton was very proud of his squad after their big win against the Wildcats.
“Our guys have really been resilient,” Denton said to 12thman.com. “They have not gone away in matches they could have when it was not their day.”
After beating Kentucky in a close one, the Maroon and White faced a much Prairie View A&M. The doubles pairs of Vacherot and Martell along with Kevin Lam and Frankie Colunga landed easy victories en route to a 7-0 sweep. Lam played in what proved to be the only close game of the match, as he defeated Anirudh Yadav 6-4, 5-7, 1-0.
The Aggies return to action Friday, as they travel to Tuscaloosa to take on Alabama before returning home to host top-ranked Ohio State on Sunday.