Men’s tennis to take on Ohio State, Women face Stephen F. Austin

Womens+Tennis
Photo by Photo by: Brian Okosun
Women’s Tennis

The Aggie men’s tennis team competed in the ITA Indoor National Championships this past weekend and dropped two of its three games. The team was able to defeat No. 15 Columbia University but fell short against No. 9 UCLA and No. 6 Ohio State.

After the rough performance by the Aggies, they now look to capture a victory over the Buckeyes when they play for a second time in four days.

“Ohio State is always ready to come out and fight to win a match. I don’t think we were able to match their energy once singles play started,” head coach Steve Denton said. “This weekend was a good test for our guys and I know we will bounce back.”

The Aggie men’s tennis team has recorded victories over ten of their last twelve opponents since the start of 2016.

Their next match is set to start Friday Feb. 19 at 5pm in Columbus, OH.

The No. 15 Texas A&M women’s team will host the Ladyjacks of Stephen F. Austin at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center.

During the women’s previous matchup, senior Ines Deheza helped A&M keep Abilene Christian scoreless 7-0.

Deheza who was partnered in doubles with junior Rachel Pierson defeated ACU’s Erin Walker and Whitney Williams. Moving up two spots on the roster, Deheza also claimed victory in singles over Ladyjack Lucile Pothier.

Despite her initial feelings, she felt confident about the change in the caliber of her opponent.

“I was kind of nervous because I know I was going to be playing a better player but I knew I could play my best and be good in that position,” Deheza said.

A&M women’s tennis head coach Mark Weaver was pleased with Sunday’s performance and wants to pursue improvement against unranked SFA.  

“Ultimately the goal would be to go out and try to play our best tennis and get a little bit better and better match by match,” said Weaver. “It’ll be nice in a week or two weeks time when we’re just clicking on all cylinders.”

This match is set to start on Saturday Feb. 20th at 1 p.m.