No. 11 A&M Baseball Completes Sweep of Cornell

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

The Texas A&M baseball team cheers on their teammates.

The No. 11 Texas A&M baseball team completed the sweep of the Cornell Big Red on Sunday with an 8-2 win. The Aggies won the first two games of the series on Friday 3-2 and 22-0. A&M improves to (7-0) with the win and Cornell falls to (0-3) with the loss.
“It was a quick turnaround after 18 innings yesterday,” head coach Rob Childress said. “To come out and play clean baseball was great. I’m very proud of the maturity of them again and finishing off the week in the right way. It starts on the mound with Mitchell Kilkenny who was dominant and we played flawless defense on the weekend, so all in all I’m very pleased.”
The Aggies started the scoring quickly in the bottom of the first when sophomore first baseman Chris Andritsos doubled to left to score Michael Helman and Zach DeLoach. The Aggies then added their third run of the game when junior catcher Cole Bedford took advantage of a Cornell mistake and scored from third on a wild pitch. A&M added two more in the fourth on sophomore Logan Foster’s RBI single and junior Allonte Wingate’s double play groundball that scored freshman Will Frizzell from third. The Aggies would finish their scoring in the sixth when they added three runs on two hits and a sac fly. Cornell tried to overcome the eight-run deficit in the ninth by scoring two runs, but couldn’t battle all the way back.
“The whole team did a great job this afternoon,” Andritsos said. “We were just continuing on from yesterday, so it was good to see us win. Battling up there with two strikes is all we’re told to do.” 
After hitting for the cycle in the second game on Friday, Andritsos led the Aggies again on Saturday, going 3-3 with three doubles and two RBIs, while Foster and junior pitcher Mitchell Kilkenny helped too. Foster went 2-3 with two RBIs, while Kilkenny dominated the Cornell lineup. Kilkenny took a no-hitter into the seventh as he tossed 6.1 shutout innings, giving up one hit, no walks, and striking out eight. 
 “It was no different than any other day,” Kilkenny said. “Coach just gives us a mission and we just have to go carry it out. The offense made it really easy, they gave us momentum from the very beginning, so all I had to do was go out there and do exactly what we’ve been practicing.”
The Aggies will be back in action on Tuesday as they welcome Houston Baptist to Blue Bell Park. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.