No. 2 A&M prepares for top-five matchup with No. 5 Vanderbilt

Baseball
Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
Baseball

As the regular season begins to wind down, the No. 2 Aggies have one of their biggest tests of the season this weekend as they get set to take on Vanderbilt in a top-five matchup. The Aggies will return home for the series, where they have a record of 25-2, after taking two out of three from Arkansas on the road.

The Aggies come into the series well-rested after their Wednesday matchup against Incarnate Ward was cancelled due to scheduling conflicts.

The Commodores will enter the series riding a five game winning streak, including a convincing sweep of Georgia at home where they outscored the Bulldogs 35-9 throughout the series.

The Aggies will rely once again on their offense to set the tone in this series that could very well be a preview for the SEC championship. The A&M offense, ranked fourth in the country in batting average, has carried the team throughout the entire season and it all begins with Boomer White.

White, ranked fourth in the nation in batting average, is hitting a staggering .437 this season with a .596 slugging percentage, 36 runs batted in and 36 runs scored. His recent tear throughout conference play has been the main spark for the Aggie offense, leading to a 14-7 conference record.

The team also features first baseman Hunter Melton, who has become one of the premiere power hitters in the SEC. He leads the team in runs batted in (56), home runs (10), and total bases (109) along with one of the conference’s best table setters in J.B Moss.

The series will have a variety of promotions going on throughout the weekend, including Game of Thrones night at Thursday’s game, Free Stuff Friday and Student Loyalty Saturday, where one student will win an Apple TV.
The first game of the series is scheduled for 6pm Thursday evening at Blue Bell Park. All three games will be nationally televised, with Thursday’s matchup airing on ESPN2 and the next two on SEC Network.