No. 4 Aggie equestrian dominates UT Martin in season opener

Equestrian
Photo by Photo by Brian Okosun
Equestrian

The Aggies found an early lead with a 3-2 spot in Equitation over Fences. Points were scored by junior Rachael Hake and sophomores Adele McKenna and MOP-winner Rebekah Chenelle. They stood over Brooke Lutzi (8-77), Savannah Methany (78-74), and Lauren Kinney (80-75), respectively.

Horsemanship specialist senior Kaci Fisher claimed MOP after earning a 72-point score over Madeline Williams’ 71.5. Sophomroe Sarah Orsak scored 73.5 to scrape by Liana Nowak’s 72.5. Junior Bailey Cook overtook Jade Bleskey in a 73-70.5 matchup to put the Aggies at 6-4.

Equitation on the Flat was led by senior Izzy Norton in her 77-68 victory over Elise Beauchamp. Junior Maddie Swem also stole the show from Sydney Linter in a 64-53 win.

To close the meet, the Aggies found a 4-1 victory in the Reining competition. Redshirt freshman Ashton Dunkel defeated Madeline Williams in a heated 66.5-64.5 battle. Following the close match was a three-win sweep from the Aggies. Junior Jaci Marley bested Martin’s Liana Nowak 68-0 as junior Madison Bohman took a 69-0 victory from Bobbie Piddock, earning her MOP honors. Senior Sarah McEntire claimed a 64-62.5 win over Megan Aiosa to end the competition.

“Anytime you can go on the road and win on horses that you don’t know, it is always a good thing,” head coach Tana McKay told 12thman.com. “We saw some good, high scoring rides. They were gracious hosts and ran a good show. There are obviously some things that we need to clean up, and clean up quickly as we have a short week to get ready for South Carolina.”

The Aggies return to action against the No. 8 Gamecocks Friday, September 30th, at 1 p.m. CST.