No. 4 baseball returns to Blue Bell park to face Houston Baptist

Photo by Photo by: Jena Floyd

The Aggie Baseball team size up their competition against Prairie View.

Aggie baseball returns to Olsen Field Tuesday flushed from their first recorded back-to-back shutout wins since 2006.

A&M looks to continue their 19-game unbeaten streak with a 10-game stretch of home games beginning with a midweek competition against Houston Baptist. The previous weekend in Malibu got off to a slow start for the Aggies (7-1), but they eventually came back to win their seventh-straight, regular-season nonconference series against Pepperdine. 

Hunter Melton has led the Aggie offense thus far. The senior first baseman has so far hit a .464 average, ranks second on the team with nine RBI’s and leads the squad with three home runs. 

Boomer White also had a solid start to the campaign, hitting .448 on the season thus far and posted an RBI while going 3-for-5 Sunday afternoon. Ronnie Gideon leads the team with 12 RBI and is tied with Michael Barash for second on the team with two home runs.   

The Huskies (5-3) have five players hitting over .300 this season. Brandon Brintz leads the way with nine RBI’s, while Greg Espinoza and Andrew Alvarez each have six to their names. Espinoza was 5-for-11 with two RBI’s this weekend and is also one to watch on the base paths, as he is 2-for-2 in stolen base attempts this year. 

Aggie pitching has been nothing short of dominant — the staff has a 1.77 ERA, third best in the SEC, and is holding opponents to a .176 batting average. 

Stephen Kolek or Jace Vines, who pitched Sunday, will start on the mound for A&M, with the likely dealer to be Kolek. In his last outing against Prairie View A&M, Kolek pitched four strong innings, allowing four hits and no runs while striking out four. 

Matt Harding is the likely starter on the mound for the Huskies. Harding went four innings, giving up two runs on four hits while fanning six in his previous outing last week.

In the most recent meeting between the two programs, the Aggies took a 4-1 decision during the 2015 campaign when the two met at Olsen Field. Tuesday’s first pitch is set for 6:35 p.m.