No. 6 Men’s tennis defeats Texas Tech in dramatic fashion

Photo by Photo by Rachel Grant

Sophomore Aleksandre Bakshi waits as his doubles partner Max Lunkin prepares to serve the ball.

No. 6 Texas A&M’s men’s tennis team headed into Houston Sunday to take on No. 24 Texas Tech in a nail biting match ending victorious for the Aggies.
After falling short in the first set with a score of 3-6, Texas A&M junior Kevin Lam sealed the deal for the Aggies with a quick match comeback on court six during a triple set against Tech’s Jackson Cobb for the Aggies 4-3 win.
The day had a slow start for the Aggies when both doubles points were dropped consecutively. Texas Tech claimed the doubles point with a 7-5 win over Juan Aguilar and Jordi Arconada and a 6-4 win over A.J. Catanzariti and Barnaby Smith.
Heading into the singles Valentin Vacherot got the momentum going for the Aggies with a 6-3 win over Techs Connor Curry in set one wrapped up with by a 6-2 victory to even the match. Continuing the victorious momentum by adding the second point to board for the Aggies was freshman Barnaby Smith.
Smith topped Techs Artem Kapshuck with a 6-2, 6-3 victory giving the Aggies a tied match of 2-2. The tie did not last long when Senior Jordi Arconada gave the Aggies a 3-2 lead-way with a winning double set match of 6-0, 7-5 against Tommy Mylnikov.
A small set back evened the score with Tech tying in with the Aggies again after a winning match of 6-2, 4-6, 7-5 over Juan Aguilar.
Kevin Lam wrapped the day up by clinching a 4-3 victory giving the Aggies an overall of 5-1 for the season.
The Aggies are set to head to the Indoor Championships in Seattle, Washington next week.