Roberson, Green rejuvenate winning culture at Reed

Two seniors, Kourtney Roberson and Jordan Green, will take the Reed Arena floor against Alabama Saturday for the the final home game of their college careers.
Head coach Billy Kennedy said the seniors have helped make the program what it is.
“Those two guys have meant a lot to our program,” Kennedy said. “[They are not just] putting up statistics or big numbers [but] building the culture and being good Aggies. [They are] representing our school and our program the right way.”
Roberson has had the longest tenure with the team. He’s been at A&M longer than the other players as well as Kennedy. Roberson played seven minutes and managed to score one point in the 2011 loss as a true freshman in the round of 64 loss to Florida State, making him the only player that has played in the NCAA tournament on the roster.
He and Green have played large roles in helping this team back to the NCAA Tournament doorstep. Green is known for his stingy defense and ability to shut down opponents’ star players, while Roberson is best known for his ability to rebound, score in the paint and block shots.
Roberson grew up in Arcadia, Louisiana. He was recruited by many teams coming out of high school but ultimately decided to attend A&M over teams like LSU, Texas and Georgetown.
Roberson said he and Green have grown close.
“Jordan and I are one of the closest pair of friends on the team because we’ve been here the longest,” Robseron said. “We know what to expect from the coaches, so we’re just trying to give the young guys what the coaches want. When they get down, we just try and tell them that there’s the next play, and they’re doing a good job with it.”
Roberson said that outside of basketball, “Sometimes we’ll call each other and say, ‘Hey, let’s go get something to eat or go to the movies.’”
When head coach Mark Turgeon left A&M, Jordan Green was a senior at Flower Mound High School, and he was considering not playing for the Aggies. The team changed as most teams do when coaching changes occur in programs. Coming out of Flower Mound High School, Green also had many other programs trying to recruit him such as Marquette and Oklahoma State. Ultimately, Green’s relationship with Roberson helped convince him to sign with A&M.
“I’ve known Kourtney for a long time,” Green said. “He’s the one that helped me stay at A&M when the coaching change went down. We’ve always had a pretty good relationship on and off of the court. He’s one of my best friends, and he’s my big brother. It’s a pleasure playing with him.”
Kennedy said the team is proud of of Roberson for coming back and graduating despite his ankle injury and Green’s consistency throughout his years in the A&M basketball program.
“These two guys have stayed the course,” Kennedy said. “They have played all four years [in] different roles at different times. Kourtney, missed a year, came back, graduated this past summer. [That is] something that we’re real proud of him for doing. Jordan — he’s been consistent [and] really solid the whole time he’s been here.”
Green said he is happy to see the A&M basketball program succeeding again.
“It has been fun, but it came with a price. It came with work,” Green said. “You know, this off season we have worked harder [than we ever have]. It feels good. It’s been enjoyable. I’m just enjoying the ride. I’m really happy to be here.”
The ride surely has had its ups and downs through the years for both players, but this the Aggies have surprised many with their play are sitting third in the SEC. They have had memorable moments this season, from winning 20 games to taking No. 1 Kentucky to double overtime. Now, the Aggies are hoping to make their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2011.
“I wouldn’t trade these four years for anything,” Green said.