Soccer hosts Vanderbilt in SEC home opener

Soccer+Dayton
Photo by PROVIDED
Soccer Dayton

The Texas A&M soccer team resumes SEC play as they host Vanderbilt at Ellis Field on Sunday.

The No. 5 Aggies (7-1, 1-0 SEC) are heading into their second match of the SEC after an eventful week, where head coach G Guerrieri won his 400th match with the Aggies after a win against Florida and then moved to 5th all-time in wins after trumping Dayton.

A&M enters the match on a three-game win streak, outscoring its opponents 9-3 in that span. The Aggies have outscored opposing teams 13-1 this season at Ellis Field. The defense has been stout allowing only more than one goal in a match only twice.

The Aggies rank second as a unit in goals per game and total goals in the SEC this season with 23 goals and 2.88 per game only behind South Carolina who have 25 goals and 3.12 per game. A&M has shown how they keep possession in the opposite teams final third and that they create opportunities by leading the SEC in corner kicks with 68 and an average of 8.5 per game.

Haley Pounds, the Aggies leading scorer, has been in fine form this season scoring six goals and is in the top six in nearly every individual statistical category in the SEC. Emily Bates has provided an instant impact as a freshman, scoring three goals and assisting on five, which puts her at second in the SEC in assists. She is also fourth in the SEC in total shots with 30.

Vanderbilt (4-3-1, 1-0 SEC) heads into the game with a 2-1 SEC victory against Mississippi State last week. The Commodores are led by sophomore Lydia Simmons, who has scored three goals and registered one assist this season. The forward was also named to the 2014 SEC All-Freshman team after last season. Vanderbilt opened the season 1-3, but are back on track after recently winning three games and getting a tie..

The last time the two teams met was last October in Nashville, Tennessee where A&M came out with a 6-2 win. The Aggies boast a 6-0 all-time record over the Commodores.
Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m. and the match can be seen on the SEC Network.