Softball’s season ends with crushing 5-3 loss to No. 2 Florida

Senior Trinity Harrington pitched the first two innings of the game against the Cowgirls.

Texas A&M’s softball season came to an end after a last-inning home run by freshman Jordan Roberts gave No. 2 Florida a 5-3 win over No. 15 A&M in game three of Super Regionals.
Down one with two outs in the top of the seventh, the Aggies used a two-run home run by senior first baseman Tori Vidales to take the lead, 3-2. In the bottom of the seventh, A&M brought back Trinity Harrington to close out the game.
Two walks and two outs later, Florida’s Roberts came up to the plate. With Harrington’s seventh pitch, Roberts hit a three-run home run to left center and secured her team a 5-3 victory.
A&M head coach, Jo Evans said although they lost, she felt they played very well defensively and was proud of how the team was able to fight in the end.
“I thought we played really well today. I am really proud of our kids in how we came out,” Evans said after the game. “Defensively, we were outstanding. They put some pressure on us early and we rose to the occasion every time. I was really proud of how we composed we were out there giving us a chance to win a ballgame in the end. Tori was being Tori today. I was really proud of her and our senior class. I thought we came to play all weekend. I am proud of how hard we fought.”
The Gators started their scoring run after freshman Hannah Adams and senior Janell Wheaton both singled to left field in the fourth and fifth inning. These gave Florida a two-run advantage in what was previously a scoreless game.
A&M added their own run late in the sixth when Vidales came from third to score on a wild pitch after fellow Aggie Riley Sartain struck out at the plate.
The Aggies were led by Vidales and Sarah Hudek on the offense, while Harrington and Payton McBride controlled the defense. Vidales went 2-for-4 at bat with one home run and 2 RBI, while Hudek went 3-for-4. In the circle, Harrington pitched 4.2 innings with one strikeout and allowed six hits. McBride came in for two innings and allowed two hits and one walk.
A&M finished their season with a 44-18 (13-11) record and will lose six seniors this year.