Texas A&M softball heads to California for San Diego Classic

Photo by File

Freshman Keeli Milligan increased her stolen base total to a nation-leading 39 in the Aggies’ weekend series against Georgia.

The Texas A&M softball team has raced out of the gates to a 17-1 record after winning 14-straight games since its loss to UCLA in the opening weekend of the season. 

During the string of wins, the Aggies have seen their ranking jump into the top 10 at No. 9. A&M will attempt to continue its streak as it heads to San Diego to participate in the San Diego Classic. 

The Aggies will play six games in San Diego this weekend with the tournament beginning Friday and ending Sunday.

“This week, on paper, we’re supposed to beat every team that we play,” coach Jo Evans said. “Sometimes to me, it isn’t always fun to be in a tournament like that. I’d rather play teams we’re not supposed to play and beat them, so for us it’s a matter of can we keep our foot on the gas and just keep playing the way we’re playing.”

Freshman Samantha Show has become a nice addition for the Aggies this year. Show was named SEC Freshman of the Week last week after her performance against Houston and in the Texas A&M Invitational. Show pitched 20 innings over the last week, and allowed only two runs, striking out 11, and recording three wins. She also hit .455 over the week with two home runs. 

“What we have right now is really good,” Show said. “Us four freshmen are really getting to know the team, so now getting to play six more games [in San Diego] before we face LSU in a couple of weeks is really going to benefit us so we can get more comfortable with each other.” 

Arguably the toughest game for the Aggies this weekend will be against San Diego State. The Aztecs come into the tournament with a 10-5 record that features wins over Texas Tech, Stanford and previously ranked California. 

“It’s going to be a fun trip for us in San Diego,” coach Jo Evans said. “San Diego State will be the best team we play. We’ll be playing them on their home field, so we’re going to have to play really well to beat them.”

The Aggies will begin the tournament at 6:30 p.m. Friday  at the San Diego State University Softball Stadium against Boston University.