Women’s Basketball holds on to get first SEC win

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel

Senior center Khaalia Hillsman finished the game with 22 points and four rebounds.

The No. 19 A&M women’s basketball defeated Kentucky in their SEC home opener, 74-70.

Kentucky guard Maci Morris netted a jumper with 2:10 remaining to cut the Wildcats’ deficit to four points, 72-68. The two teams then went a combined 0-for-5 before Kentucky made a layup to make it a one-score game, 72-70, with 10 seconds remaining. A&M head coach Gary Blair then called a timeout to set up an in-bounds play. After she was inbounded the ball, junior Anriel Howard was intentionally fouled and sent to the line where she made both of her free throws. The Wildcats got the ball back, but were unable to score and the Aggies clinched their first SEC win.

The Aggies got off to a hot start in the game, beginning the game with an 11-5 run. The Wildcats then began to settle down and developed an offensive rhythm. Senior center Khaalia Hillsman established herself in the paint and finished the first quarter with six points. The Aggies led the Wildcats 24-18 at the end of the first quarter.

The Aggies led the entire second quarter, however, the Wildcats had more success shooting the ball than they did in the first quarter. The Wildcats netted 55 percent of their shots (6-of-11) , including two three-pointers. The Aggies offensive efforts were stalled in the quarter, however, senior Jasmine Lumpkin came came off the bench and brought new life to the Aggies, netting four points and asserting herself on defense. The Aggies scored just 15 points in the quarter but hung on to a 39-36 lead at halftime.

Junior Danni WIlliams shined in the third quarter, netting two of her game-high five three-point shots. The Aggies offense as a whole, fired on all cylinders, making 60 percent (6-of-10) of their shots.
The maroon and white played sloppily in the fourth quarter in both aspects of the game. On the offensive side, A&M tried to force passes which led to five turnovers in the quarter. Additionally, the Aggies rushed some possessions which led to a bad shot selection. The Aggies shot just 33 percent (4-of-12) in the quarter. Kentucky guard Maci Morris was phenomenal in the quarter, scoring six points and creating opportunities for her teammates.=

The saving grace for the Aggies was Anriel Howard’s performance rebounding the ball. Howard extended possessions with her keen awareness and physicality. Howard had five of her game-high 12 rebounds in the quarter. The Aggies were able to squeak by the Wildcats and win the game, 74-70.

Khaalia Hillsman led the Aggies in scoring with 20 points. Danni Williams notched 19 points and shot 5-of-8 from behind the arc. Freshman Chennedy Carter also chipped in 14 points, marking her 16th straight game scoring in double figures.

The Aggies will now have a quick turnaround as they play at Auburn on Sunday. The game will be televised on SEC Network + and tipoff is slated for 2:00 p.m.