Women’s golf ties for fourth at Trinity Forest Invitational

Photo by Courtesy of Texas State Athletics

Senior Maddie Szeryk tied for fifth at 6-over-par at the Trinity Forest Invitational.

It was a tough 54 holes of golf at the Trinity Forest Invitational at Trinity Forest Golf Club in Dallas, as most schools scored well above par in every round. Texas A&M women’s golf managed to finish in a tie for fourth with Texas Tech at 47-over-par (911), while Kansas State won the tournament at 29-over-par (839).
Senior Maddie Szeryk led the Aggies, finishing in a tie for fifth at 6-over-par.
Home to the PGA Tour’s Byron Nelson Classic starting next year, the tournament featured 36 holes on Monday followed by a closing 18 holes on Tuesday.
The Aggies were in fourth by themselves at the end of day one after firing rounds of 4-over-par (292) and 17-over-par (305). The team closed with a final round of 26-over-par (314) to finish the tournament in a tie for fourth.
Thanks to her fifth-place tie, Szeryk finished in the top-10 in all five tournaments this fall and finished in the top-five in four of them. The two-time All-American carded two rounds of even par to start her tournament and has now shot par or better in 12 of her 15 rounds this season.
Sophomore Courtney Dow got her fourth top-20 finish of the season, finishing in a tie for 19th at 12-over-par. Freshman Morgan Lay shot a final round 77 to finish in a tie for 34th at 16-over par.
Freshman Amber Park had a promising start to the tournament when she fired a two-under-par 70 in round one, however, rounds of 81 and 85 saw her tumble into a tie for 45th at 20-over-par.
Rounding out the team was freshman Elizabeth Caldarelli, who competed as an individual, and junior Chloe Velasco. Both finished within one shot of each other, Caldarelli at 28-over and Velasco at 29-over, finishing in 65th and 66th, respectively.
Texas A&M will not play another competitive round until after the winter break and will get their spring season started on Feb. 9-11 at the Florida State Match-Up in Tallahassee, Florida.