Women’s tennis sweeps SFA, defeats Liberty at home

Photo by Courtesy of Texas A&M Athletics

Freshman Dorthea Faa-Hviding and her doubles partner sophomore Margo Taylor went 3-0 in doubles play on Friday at the Haunted Horned Frog Classic.

Despite a couple rain delays that postponed Saturday’s doubleheader between Texas A&M, Liberty and Stephen F. Austin to Sunday, the Aggies maintained their season-long momentum going into the match, defeating both opponents of the day in commanding fashion, by scores of 4-1 against Liberty and 6-0 against SFA. The Aggies remain undefeated, extending their win-streak to six straight.
Singles play started the day off hot, with the Aggies facing Liberty as the Aggies jumped out to a quick 2-0 score against the Flames
On court two, senior Macarena Olivares captured the Aggies first point of the day winning both sets against Anna Dollar with scores of 6-1 and 6-0. Olivares was followed quickly by freshman Riley McQuaid on court five, who scored the Aggies second point by defeating Rebekah Anderson in two sets with scores of 6-1 and 6-2.
Meanwhile, action intensified as freshman Dorthea Faa-Hviding struggled against Liberty’s Lara Soares on court four. Faa-Hviding was swept by Soares, dropping the Aggies’ only point of the day to Liberty in two sets with a score of 2-6 both times.
The Aggies finished the day strong however, with strong showings by seniors Eva Paalma and Dominque Gonzalez.
Paalma made quick work of her match, defeating Evangeline Crist in two sets by a score of 6-4 in both. Meanwhile on the top court Gonzalez battled with Maria Medina winning her match in three sets. Gonzalez won set one 6-3, but would drop set two to Medina 4-6. It would be in set three that Gonzalez would secure the victory for the Aggies with her win by a score of 6-2.
The Aggies could only enjoy their victory over Liberty briefly, as they still had to face the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks, as a conclusion to the day’s doubleheader.
The Lumberjacks were no match for the Aggies however, as they were dominated in a clean 6-0 sweep by Texas A&M.
Gonzales, Oliviares, Paalma, McQuaid, and Iulia Ivascu all won their matches in two sets, thoroughly dominating the Lumberjacks, and securing the second win of the day for Texas A&M.
The only true action of the match with the Lumberjacks came between Faa-Haviding and Armelle Cerdan, with their match going to three sets.
The Lumberjacks tried to avoid a shutout, but Faa-Hviding would win in sets one and three. This match ended early as the overall match between the schools had been won by the Aggies.
Due to the rain delays, doubles play was limited to an “only if necessary” basis, and would end up not being played in either match.
After the Aggies secured both victories of the day, Coach Mark Weaver said the team continues to show signs of greatness with is backed up by its undefeated record. However, Weaver said there is still room for imporvement.
“Part of why we’re playing these doubleheaders, is to get better, learn from our mistakes, and just keep moving forward,” Weaver said to 12thman.com. “The Aggies are 6-0, it’s a good start to the season, and we just want to keep taking advantage of the practices. The practices have been excellent, and we want those to just carry over into the actual matches.”
The Aggie’s schedule gets no easier however, as they take part in a battle of the undefeateds next Saturday at noon vs. the Louisiana Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns here in College Station.