Maya Montemayor and Sarah Fisher

Pouring out of a decorated A&M van in matching blue shirts, chemistry graduate students mingle with prospective ones by the bar. Chemistry graduate Maya Montemayor said Harry’s was their last stop after a day of recruiting activities to give them a sense of Aggie life. 

“A lot of the students are coming from out of town and some out of the state, so it’s just kind of a way for them to see what a common country dance hall looks like and be able to dance,” Montemayor said.

She and fellow chemistry graduate Sarah Fisher are no strangers to Harry’s. In fact, it’s their go-to spot every time they come across someone new.

“This is one of our favorite places to come to show people College Station culture,” Fisher said. “We were here — was it last weekend? — with a Korean exchange student because we just wanted to show her what it was like and she loved it. We like to come here and bring people.”

Fisher wasn’t initially aware Harry’s was relocating, and — after expressing her shock — turned to Montemayor.

“That’s fucked up,” Fisher said. “Did you know they’re relocating? They have to shut down.”

Montemayor had similar feelings of dismay.

“I know,” Montemayor said. “It’s horrible. That really sucks.”

The two both work in Jaime Grunlan’s lab, the Polymer NanoComposites Laboratory, where many of the researchers are Harry’s regulars. They aren’t the only ones — over the past 30 years, it’s been common to spot out-of-towners frequenting the dance hall.

“My brother comes here from Austin all the time,” Fisher said. “I think that’s sad [that they’re relocating]. I don’t know how long it’s been here, but it seems like a long time.”