“21 & Over” adds twist to familiar story

From the people who brought you The Hangover comes another movie about the crazy antics that can ensue under the influence of alcohol. The comedy 21 & Over will make you laugh and squirm in your seat with its witty humor, obscene references and stereotypical displays of alcohol-induced chaos.
The movie 21 & Over follows the increasingly dire circumstances that two friends find themselves in while trying to get their buddy home in time for an important interview. Jeff Chang (played by Justin Chong) is turning 21, and proceeds to celebrate with his two best friends from high school, Miles and Casey (played by Miles Teller and Skylar Astin, respectively). The problem is that Changs controlling father has set up an interview for him to get into medical school the following day, an obvious speed bump in their plans.
Ignoring the wishes of their friends father, Miles and Casey take Chang for a night on the town. But what was supposed to be a few beers turns into a drunken adventure as Miles and Casey struggle to get Chang home for his interview. The situation quickly deteriorates as they find themselves in increasingly absurd situations, from fleeing crazed sorority chicks to fending off irritated animals.
Screen writers and producers Jon Lucas and Scott Moore created 21 & Over using the same mold as their previous hit film The Hangover. With a similar plot and theme, the only difference between the two seems to be the college twist in 21 & Over. Much of the humor is crude and outlandish, springing more form split second absurdity than continual wit.
While the plot may be shallow and the humor recognizable, the story centers on three friends reconnecting after time away from each other in college. The comedic appeal may not be anything new, but 21 & Over accomplishes making audiences laugh, with a fresh take on a familiar story.