3K/5K supports Aggie vet students

Saturday morning came bright and early for about 200 runners and their furry companions as they stretched and warmed up for the See Spot Run race.
See Spot Run 3K and 5K is an annual race put on by the College of Veterinary Medicine where people of Bryan-College Station can come and run alongside their dogs.
P.J. Wonder, co-coordinator of See Spot Run, said the school has been planning the event since last semester and the proceeds act as a fundraiser for students in the vet school.
“We’ve been planning the race since about October, gathering sponsors, booking the park, advertising – it’s all been a very hectic experience,” Wonder said. “I’m glad that it’s here though. All the money we’ve collected for the race is going toward the travel fund for vet students, set up by SCAVMA, [the Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association]. This includes costs associated with traveling … surgery packets, and alleviating the costs of board exams.”
However, the race wasn’t all about the vet school. Wonder said she hopes that through the race, people become more aware of the physical and medical needs that dogs require.
“Purina, one of our biggest sponsors, has provided 20 bags of dog food, countless bags of dental treats and literature to educate people on what their dogs need to be healthy,” Wonder said. “So many people don’t know how much exercise and what kind of nutrition dogs need.”
Stephanie Meyers, a second year vet student, said she and her hound Rayne ran the course, and there was definitely room for improvement.
“Yeah, it’s obvious we both have work to do,” Meyers said. “On the last hill, we both were struggling to finish. This definitely won’t be our last 3K; I plan on getting more in shape with Rayne, because it’s important for both of us.”
Wonder said over 220 people signed up by Saturday and 30-50 more were expected to sign up that morning.
Juliette Comeaux, co-coordinator of See Spot Run, said the event provided resources to keep dogs and runners cool throughout the race.
“For both the 3K and 5K, we have water stations set up for both the dogs and their owners,” Comeaux said. “We have supplied pools for the dogs to cool down in, one on the 3K and two on the 5K. It’s extremely important that both the dogs and their owners stay hydrated and cool.”
Comeaux said prizes were given out after the race.
“As for after the race, we [gave] out prizes for the top runners and their dogs, including free dog food, a free dog wash to Grateful Dog and coupons to various restaurants in the neighborhood that have sponsored us,” Comeaux said. “Also, there [was] a raffle for all the runners who entered and a silent auction on a print by Benjamin Knox to raise more money for the SCAVMA.”
Georgia Schmidt, longtime resident of Bryan, participated for the second time with her dogs Emily and Billy.
“I think it’s great to have all these people of Bryan and College Station come with their dogs,” Schmidt said. “I know Emily and Billy both love being with the other dogs. I will be coming every year that I can.”