A bowl for a bowl

Empty+bowls
Empty bowls

The Brazos Valley Arts Council will raise money to end childhood hunger selling different bowls and soup during their Empty Bowls Jr. Event on March 2.
The event, which the council founded in 2013, strives to combat hunger amongst students in the Brazos Country area through the sale of ceramic bowls made by art students. The proceeds go directly towards the in-school pantries in the county, which are placed in schools to provide underprivileged students with nutritious food at no cost. According to the Arts Council website, this year’s edition of Empty Bowls Jr involves over 20 schools and 10 restaurants.
Art Council board president Pam Smigns has participated in each of the events for the past eight years. To promote awareness for student hunger, the Art Council and the school districts collaborated to ensure no student went home hungry.
“Students have gone home hungry forever basically. … We decided to work together and try to alleviate some of those issues by allowing students to help other students,” Smigns said.
Smigns said the Art Council used art as a method to reach out to troubled and underprivileged youth and said it is the best way to tackle issues such as hunger.
“I believe that the kids creating the bowls know why they’re creating the bowls,” Smigns said. “Art is used as a therapy. … The Red Cross uses it, the Salvation Army uses it as a way to express. Through art, we teach our kids to give back.”
A&M Consolidated High School art teacher and fine art department head Jami Bevans said making art for a cause allows her students to grow as people while benefiting their community. Over 40 families benefit from the in-schools pantries, according to Bevans. She currently has her students molding, baking and painting artistic bowls for the event.
Bevans, a Bryan/College Station native, said community service like this is a great way to strengthen the bond of the community.
“I think the most important takeaway is that students become aware of the need of their own [peers],” Bevans said. “The fact that people their age have a need and that they have the opportunity and the ability to help in some small way.”
By purchasing a bowl, donors are eligible to receive a bowl of soup from some Bryan/College Station restaurants that are a part of the Taste of B-CS, a community of independently owned restaurants that promote eating locally. Scott Walterschied, manager of Blue Baker, is proud to be a part of what he considers a great community project.
“Blue Baker has been a part of the Empty Bowls project for several years now,” Walterschied said. “We love it because kids from over 23 area schools craft bowl as part of their art classes. Enriching the lives of others is one of Blue Bakers three basic principles. A big part of this is being an active participant in the community to help make B-CS a great place to live.”
The event will be held March 2 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Allen Honda on 2450 Earl Rudder Fwy South in College Station. More information and once can find a list of affiliated businesses and schools at acbv.org.