Photo Courtesy of Maddie Pearson
For the love of birds: Students unite to protect migratory species
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • April 25, 2024

The deadliest building on campus for birds is one dedicated to studying them. At least 23 birds this year have been killed from window collisions...

Texas A&M DL McKinnley Jackson (3), DB Josh DeBerry, DL Fadil Diggs (10) celebrae stopping the ball during a game vs. New Mexico on Saturday, Sept. 2, 2023 at Kyle Field.
McKinnley Jackson taken 97th in third round by Cincinnati Bengals
Andrew Paredes, Sports Editor • April 26, 2024

Texas A&M senior DL McKinnley Jackson is saying goodbye to College Station and heading to the Queen City as he was drafted by the Cincinnati...

Texas A&M INF Ted Burton (27) hits a home run during A&Ms game against Georgia on Friday, April 26, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Bye bye, baseballs
Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Art critic Theresa Lozano says Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department” isn’t as bad as other critics say it is. (Photo courtesy of Republic Records)
Criticism: ‘The Tortured Poets Department’
Theresa Lozano, Life & Arts Writer • April 25, 2024

Rating: 8.8/10 From an anticipated release to a surprise double album at 2 a.m., Taylor Swift put it all out there with her recently released...

A faculty field day extravaganza

Employees compete in team events as part of wellness initiative
Photo by Samuel Falade
Team Global Engagement celebrates as their last sack runner crosses the finish line during the field day activities at the Penberthy Rec Sports Complex on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Samuel Falade/The Battalion)

The Penberthy Fields radiated with high spirits on March 22 as Texas A&M faculty and staff participated in a field day hosted by Living Well, A&M’s official employee wellness program. Living Well collaborated with Rec Sports, the Gardens, Brookshire Brothers, Wells Fargo and more to organize the event.

Thirty-six teams of 10 staff members each had the opportunity to immerse themselves in several games and test their athletic ability. Employee wellness manager of Living Well Kourtney Bassett said eight people per team had to participate in each game.

“They rotate in sixes,” Bassett said. “We have a hula knot just where they’re all grabbing a hand twisting out and they’re going to do a hula hoop. We have an egg and spoon race. We’re doing trashcan ball, we have a beanbag toss area, a relay race and then the puzzles as I mentioned before. Then our final challenge this year, we switched it up. Last year, we did a tug of war, and it got really competitive. Super fun, very competitive, and this year, the Mission Inflatables is coming out with the inflatable obstacle course.”

Liz Wood, faculty member of the oncology service at the veterinary teaching hospital, said field day gave her team ‘Saved by the Chemo Bell’ the chance to let loose, have fun and grow better bonds with one another.

“The teamwork together is great, cheering each other on, being silly with the music,” Wood said. “And then just the competitiveness and the friendly atmosphere going through, like we’re all digging at each other, but we all know we’re having fun with it.”

The field day was a big hit last year, which Bassett said motivated staff to work hard to make this year’s event even more memorable.

“We started planning almost immediately after last year’s event,” Bassett said. “So we met up, had a team meeting about wells and betters. What did we do well? What can we do better the next year? And then we started reaching out to partners on ‘Hey, what can we do to make this better? How do you want to be involved?’ And they’ve worked with every partner that I listed since then to make this event.”

Leslie Krueger, who works in Sponsored Research Services, said bonding with her team ‘SRS Play in the Grid’ was one of the most special aspects of field day. 

“It’s for team camaraderie,” Krueger said. “We’re together in the office all day, every day, so to be able to come out and be a part of something fun like this is great together.”

Wood said the field day helped foster further connections among her coworkers.

“With our group, especially, it’s led us to do more things together,” Wood said. “We were already kind of like a family, but now we do group events together. For example, the group’s going to be taking a trip to Iceland to do a half marathon, and they did this, and then it turned into that. And then getting to know people from around the college, we see people that we’ve done leadership camps with and things like that, and so it’s great to stand out here and participate together.”

Employees yelled, cheered and celebrated as they encouraged their teammates in each game. Living Well offered trophies throughout the day, but Bassett said she primarily wanted field day to provide them the opportunity to momentarily forget about nagging responsibilities.

“You see community in the making, and it also is an opportunity to just take you back to your childhood and you know, old school field day,” Bassett said. “Just come out, take some time away from work, enjoy the people that you’re with, come out with your offices. You see the excitement. It’s something that you don’t get in a lot of office spaces.”

View Comments (1)