A fall destination at Bryan’s local market

Photo by Ahsan Yahya

Piles of pumpkins on display throughout The Farm Patch on Monday, Oct. 9, 2023. 

The Farm Patch serves as a focal point where community and fall activities converge as Bryan residents come together to celebrate the changing season.

The Farm Patch is an outdoor market that offers seasonal produce and plants.They are open from Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m to 7 p.m. The Scarmados family opened the business in 1974 to offer the Brazos Valley community a supply of fresh produce and quality customer service, according to their website.
The pumpkin patch is one of the main attractions at this time of year as former students John and Brittany Lowery, Class of 2008 and 2009, respectively, brought their young daughter Elissa, for a family outing.

“Our favorite part about it is that there are lots of things to do,” Brittany said. “She can play in the corn and look at the pumpkins. I think they’re making the hay maze.”

John said that they usually buy a lot of pumpkins at the market and begin to carve them when it gets closer to the holiday. The couple said that arriving around midday during the week typically guarantees a less crowded experience, and Brittany said they’re usually at The Farm Patch once a month.

“It’s just a really great local place that has cool stuff that you can’t get anywhere else,” Brittany said.
The pumpkin patch is open at the same time as their market.

The market is a fun place to work, assistant manager Mike Marino said, who has been there for 30 years. Meeting new people every day is what makes his work experience unique; the company serves everyone who walks in, including students, locals and customers from out of town, Marino said.

“We cater to everybody,” Marino said. “When they come down here for football games, or … anything going on here in Bryan-College Station. They know where to come.”
The upcoming year will be its 50th anniversary since its opening. Marino said the business is a historical landmark due to its long-standing presence and connection with the community.

“It’s a must see place, ” Marino said.

The loyalty between the business and its customers is strong, as local Bryan resident Denise McGuire has known the owner’s family for years. Denise and her husband Tim have revisited The Patch for years since moving back to Bryan in 2019.

“I’ll get some of their fresh fruits and vegetables, and of course, any of our go-to’s for any flowers or any plants here,” Tim said. “My wife gets some of the annuals here, cornelius or herbs. We grow quite a few herbs in our backyard.”

Anyone entering The Farm Patch for the first time can anticipate being welcomed by staff, Tim said.
“People here are friendly,” Tim said. “People that work here, and in the garden area there and of course Mark Scarmado is a wonderful guy. He’s usually out here and he greets us by name when we come in.”