ACL bands to watch out for

%26%23160%3B

Austin City Limits Music Festival will take place at Zilker Park in Austin during the next two weekends.
The 13-year-old festival will have 130 bands attending this year, but here are five “must-sees.”
Lorde
Mixing high school emotions and syncopated beats, it seems like Lorde just knows something we don’t. Being only 17 years old, she already has a more mature sound than other pop icons of her age. Since she released her well-reviewed debut album “Pure Heroin” more than a year ago and won two Grammys, Lorde should be at the top of your concert wish lists. Lorde will play at 7 p.m. Sunday Oct. 12 on the RetailMeNot stage.
Outkast
If you don’t make it a point to see Outkast, you will miss a once-in-a-lifetime reunion. One of the most successful rap duos of all time, André 3000 and Big Boi have sold more than 25 million albums, won six Grammys and have been broken up for seven years. They’ve announced that they will be playing more than 40 shows together in 2014 for their twentieth anniversary, and ACL is one of them. Many young people are well-versed in their more popular songs, but should consider listening to one of their older albums such as, “Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik” before the concert to take note in the greatness and longevity of their career. Just imagine being in the crowd with fellow Outkast fans yelling, “I’m sorry Ms. Jackson.” They will play at 8:15 p.m. both Fridays on the Honda Stage.
Eminem
It’s Eminem. Slim Shady. Marshal Mathers. Call him what you will. ACL’s biggest headliner is expected to release an album in November and could possibly tease the audience with a sample song. Eminem is a living legend and isn’t getting any younger, so it would be wise to see him while you can. He will play during primetime at 8:30 p.m. both Saturdays on the Samsung Galaxy Stage.
Childish Gambino
Expect high energy, deep cinematic bass and a lot of jumping around at Childish Gambino’s concert. A screenwriter, actor and rapper, his show will be sure to get weird. He is said to go to extreme lengths to reenact his acclaimed album “Because The Internet,” using visually stimulating videos and props in the background. If that doesn’t strike your interest, Gambino is rising through the ranks of alternative rappers. Fully expect him to prove himself both off the stage and on it. Childish Gambino will be on the Honda Stage at 6:15 p.m. both Fridays before Outkast.
Broken Bells
James Mercer, the lead singer of The Shins, and Danger Mouse have formed the underrated experimental band Broken Bells. Together they have been successful in creating two studio albums and an EP, mixing poppy beats with Mercer’s high-pitched melody-carrying voice. It is surprising this group isn’t more popular considering their appealing sound and Grammy nomination in 2011. ACL is one of those rare occasions this duo will be playing together if there wasn’t enough motivation to see them. Broken Bells will be at the Miller Lite Stage at 7:30 p.m. both Saturdays.
Lana Del Rey
With one of the best images of contemporary music and new album “Ultraviolence,” Lana Del Rey can sing away your mid-semester troubles. Since her debut album, Lana has established herself well in the indie music scene with her 2012 album “Born to Die” and has generated a massive cult following among college students. This will be a bit mellower concert, and considering live reviews claiming she’s “pitchy,” she falls short of being in the top five. However, if you are looking for that break in jumping around between rap shows, Lana will play at the Samsung Galaxy Stage both Saturdays.
Avett Brothers
Imagine the sound and stage presence of Mumford and Sons, but better. The Avett Brothers are well seasoned and have performed together for 13 years, producing eight studio albums. They use acoustic guitars and banjos to make a campfire-party atmosphere on stage. The Avett Brothers have received exceptional live reviews and are said to play a wide variety of songs from their extensive library. It will be safe to say they will be one of the best pure musician bands at ACL. They will be playing at the Honda Stage at 6:30 p.m both Saturdays.
Graphic by Frederica Shih