Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) dlivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Kentucky at the NCAA Men’s College World Series at in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday, June 17, 2024. Prager went for 6.2 innings, allowing two hits and zero runs. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

African-American Organizations on Campus Celebrate Black History Month

Photo by Courtesy

Many organizations, like T.E.A.A.C.H., are holding events to educate the Texas A&M student population about African American culture. 

Ninety-two years ago, African-American historian, Carter G. Woodson, established a tradition that would evolve into a month-long celebration of history known as Black History Month, which is celebrated across the country and by various organizations on Texas A&M’s campus.
Student organizations at Texas A&M are preparing to present the campus with various events designed to honor and inform students about Black History Month. With movies, game nights and a discourse held at 7 p.m. in Rudder 402 led by philosophy graduate student Dalitso Ruwe, students within the African American community hope to enlighten everyone about African American history.
Krystal Parks, philosophy junior and president of T.E.A.A.C.H (Teaching Everyone African American Culture and Heritage), explained that their main goal is to teach others about the overlooked history of African Americans.
“It’s really about educating,” Parks said. “This was the basis for the entire thing. We don’t always learn what we’re supposed to know from our textbooks and history teachers. We wanted to show black people in a positive light and bring forth these people that actually have done a lot for the U.S. yet still haven’t gotten recognition.”
Daiza Burleson, interdisciplinary studies junior and the secretary of T.E.A.A.C.H, said the importance of this educational experience is to teach the truth.
“One of our upcoming events is about black inventors and creators where we say ‘Okay, these are the people who should have their [names] mentioned for this invention or creation, and this is why it isn’t happening,’” Burleson said.
While Parks and Burleson explained their organization’s impact in the community, environmental studies junior Jarrett Eubanks, one the officers from NAACP, spoke about his role as a leader.
“I don’t feel pressure,” Eubanks said. “As a leader, member of this organization, or African-American … I feel like it is our duty considering the pressures of honoring history. I feel like we should and want to [speak out] because even if it doesn’t affect us [directly], it might affect someone we know.”
Eubanks said he is looking forward to Ruwe’s talk and discussion most as they are the most enjoyable for him.
“When somebody comes in to talk and has a scholarly opinion about a subject, it makes me think outside of the box,” Eubanks said. “Then you get to hear everyone’s perspective on that topic and it ends up being one big discussion … Everybody learns from each other and that’s very important.”
Parks said whether it be this February or after, T.E.A.A.C.H. wants to be an uplifting community for anyone who wishes to join.
“When we have meetings, whether it’s Black History Month or not, we try to tell the truth,” Parks said. “We just try to come out and try to be as real as possible — as honest as possible — about our experiences. When we come into our meetings, we come in with our own experiences, but then, we let them discuss and hear their experiences as well.”
For more information about African-American organizations on campus and all their upcoming events during Black History Month, visit www.tamubhm.com.