Aggie-designed Lay’s cappuccino chips enter home stretch of voting contest

%26%23160%3B

Chad Scott, the sociology doctoral student who has made it to the final four stage of Lay’s “Do Us a Flavor” contest, is drawing on Aggie support in the final promotional week
Scott said all four finalists have been doing their own campaigning ever since the contest began, primarily through social media.
People can vote up to four times per day by posting #savecappucino on Twitter and Instagram.
“What I have been doing for my particular campaign is that I have been creating little artworks, taking older pieces of art and embedding the cappuccino Lay’s chips into it and then posting this on social media,” Scott said.
Alexia Allina, a member of Frito Lay’s public relations team, said the four finalists were the heart and soul of the program.
“Like all of our finalists, Chad has brought a tremendous amount of energy and excitement to the contest, and we’re grateful for his participation,” Allina said. “Their flavors rose to the top as we evaluated the 14.4 million-plus submissions we received, and we were so proud to bring each flavor to market.”
Scott said it was fascinating to see how the four flavors had become so popular.
“The four chips featured on the TV show ‘Rewrapped,’ hosted by Joey Fatone, where one of the chefs made a chocolate cake from the chips,” Scott said.
B. Stephen Carpenter, professor of art education at Pennsylvania State University who formerly taught at A&M, said he has rarely encountered a student with Scott’s intellectual range and level of interests.
Carpenter also said Scott’s cappuccino flavor is the most exciting and daring of the group.
“I am excited about Chad’s involvement in the contest,” Carpenter said. “I am not surprised he entered the contest nor am I surprised to know he is among the four finalists. I am proud of him. I vote for him. I send out tweets encouraging other people to vote for him.”
Sarah Gatson, associate professor of sociology and fan of Scott’s work, liked the chips as well.
“It reminds me of a churro,” Gatson said. “I confess to eating an entire bag alone and not sharing.”
Despite his busy schedule, Scott teaches at the University of Nevada in Las Vegas and is working on his dissertation.
“There a lot of things going on right now, but everything will be wrapping up real soon, since the contest ends real soon,” Scott said.
The contest ends Saturday, with the results to be announced Monday.
Chad Scott developed the idea and recipe for Lay’s cappuccino chips.
Picture provided.