Aggie sophomore a rising star in the country music scene

Hayden+Haddock
Hayden Haddock

Construction science sophomore Hayden Haddock has been splitting college life and the spotlight since releasing his first album last December.
Haddock is the latest up and coming country music singer in the Texas Red Dirt scene. A product of social media wildfire, Haddock has been growing in popularity since he uploaded a clip of him singing in his apartment a year and a half ago. His sound landed him at where he is today by garnering the attention of many higher-ups in the music industry.
Inspired by the likes of Eric Church and Kenny Chesney, Haddock decided to pick up the guitar at the age of 14, developing his skills as a hobby. He said he never imagining he could make a career out of it.
“Near the end of my first semester of college, I was just practicing, jamming to myself in the living room of my apartment like I’d done for years,” Haddock said. “Then this young girl, who was our neighbor, knocked on my door and said ‘Hey, I heard you playing the guitar and singing! I didn’t know you could do any of that!’”
With some persuasion, she and Haddock’s roommate convinced him to play for them. One song and a video recording later, Haddock was on stage for his first show in January of last year.
Jackie Christman, Class of 2011 and Haddock’s agent, has worked with Grammy Award-winning artists and represents a select number of musicians across genres.
“When I first heard Hayden, I was struck by his natural ability to connect with audiences and his charisma and drive to succeed,” Christman said. “Even at a young age, he shows the discipline and talent needed to rise to the top in a competitive business.”
Haddock’s album, “First Rodeo,” came from a collaboration with Grammy winning producer Tre Nagala, a name tied to the successes of Lady Gaga, Kirk Franklin and Blake Shelton.
“Working with Tre was awesome,” Haddock said. “He is one of my good friends, and I can count on him for everything. He took me under his wing and knew that I was brand new in this business and was looking out for my best interests.”
As for the name of the album, Haddock said he felt as though it was the start of a new journey.
“When we sat down to talk about names for the album, that was my first idea for the title,” Haddock said. “I thought it went with everything, being my first album, my first release of music. I just thought ‘First Rodeo’ — it makes sense.’”
Despite the perks of living life in the spotlight, Haddock admits that the most difficult hurdle has been managing school and his music career simultaneously.
“I see why a lot of the younger guys in this business end up dropping out of school while trying to do this,” Haddock said. “I know a lot of people just see you on stage and that’s what they think it is all the time but there’s a lot of work behind the scenes.”
Despite his Hannah Montana-esque predicament, Haddock still makes academics a priority.
“It still gets pretty tough sometimes,” Haddock said. “There’s still the missing assignments and the late stuff turned in. … My dad would hate to hear that.”
Haddock is continuing his journey toward stardom at a rapid pace: one show, one album, one song at a time.
As of today, the red dirt country singer has over 30,000 monthly listeners on Spotify. Haddock’s publicist Chelsea Dartez said his passion for country music is refreshing.
“The following he has built in only one short year is very impressive and shows that he has a long career ahead of him,” Dartez said. “There is not a doubt in my mind that Hayden will become a household name in country music.”