Aggies breakdown the worst songs of 2017

Worst Songs of 2017

According to the News Generation Radio Statistics, 93 percent of Americans listen to the traditional AM/FM radio broadcast over airwaves. With a wide variety of music available, there’s songs people love and songs they might not care for. The Battalion spoke with four students who shared their thoughts on what they consider the worst songs of 2017.
“Despacito” by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee feat. Justin Bieber
Luis Fonsi is a Puerto Rican singer-songwriter who recently gained popularity in the United States from his song featuring Justin Bieber, “Despacito.” A latin pop romantic song about feelings for a woman, the song’s title translates to “slowly.”
“This is one of the worst songs I have heard in my entire life. It is repetitive, completely overplayed and shallow,” economics junior Alan Caffey said.
“Justin Bieber didn’t even know the words to his own song, it was ridiculous,” education junior Naomi Headrick said.
“This song is actually about having sex. It’s one of those songs you listen to for 30 seconds and then you can be done with,” public health sophomore Ashleigh Little said.
“The Spanish part of this song doesn’t actually make any sense, so the song is ruined for me. I like when my lyrics have meaning,” communication sophomore Madison Brown said.
“Shape of You” by Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran is an English singer-songwriter who debuted his work in 2012 with his hit “The A Team.” Since then, he has released a total of five albums and sold out arenas worldwide. “Shape of You” is a pop song about admiring the sensuality of a woman’s body after meeting in a bar.
“The beat of this song sounds like you’re working out or in a pub,” Headrick said.
“This song is definitely overplayed and the beat got annoying after a few listens,” Little said.
“Personally, I find all of Ed’s songs to sound the same,”Brown said.
“That’s What I Like” by Bruno Mars
Bruno Mars is an American singer-songwriter who is also skilled in playing instruments and dancing. After years of songwriting, he finally had a break out with his single “Nothin’ on you,” according to his website. “That’s What I Like” is an R&B song about his romantic interest and himself going on fancy adventures.
“When I listen to this song all I can think to myself is, ‘Bruno, why does it matter what you like,’” Headrick said.
“If this song was a person, I would punch it in the face,” Little said.
“I don’t dislike this song specifically, I just hate Bruno Mars in general. He ruins everything,” Brown said.
“Bodak Yellow” by Cardi B
Cardi B is an American rapper and singer-songwriter. She became an internet celebrity and released her debut single “Bodak Yellow” in 2017, which quickly made its way to the top of the 100’s chart. “Bodak Yellow” is a hip hop song about money and class.
“I don’t particularly like the way that [Cardi B] presents herself,” Headrink said. “She seems like a wanna-be Nicki Minaj”.
“In this song, Cardi demands ‘cutting a person off’ when you have been wronged, but in real life her boyfriend cheated on her and she forgave him. She needs to be real with herself,” Little said.
“Strip That Down” by Liam Payne
Liam Payne is an English singer-songwriter who gained his fame from the boy band One Direction, created on The X Factor. The band has since broken up, and Payne released the single “Strip That Down” as a debut for his upcoming album. “Strip That Down” is a pop song about a woman taking off her clothes.
“Honestly, where are the feminists in the music world nowadays,” Headrick said. “I feel the same to Liam as I felt to Bruno, why is this song all about him? Why doesn’t he strip for me?”
“I’m not sure why, but I hear this song and get really mad,” Little said.
“Look What You Made Me Do” by Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift is an American singer-songwriter who began her career in country music but has since gone towards the pop genre. In 2017, her sixth album was released, the debut single being “Look What You Made Me Do.” “Look What You Made Me Do” is an electro pop song about getting vengeance as a new “darker Taylor”
“I have tough feelings about this song,” Headrick said. “I don’t like the lyrics very much but I wonder to myself ‘Who wronged T-Swift so badly that she had to write a whole album about it?’ Probably Kayne … It feels like she is trying to get revenge and not take the higher road, that’s really not the best example for youth.”
“This song gets very repetitive. She is telling me to ‘Look what we made her do’ but I get it, I see exactly what she’s doing,” Little said.
“I miss the old Taylor. Her old style was simple, now she’s trying to conform into what people want to hear,” said Brown.