Aggies get outdoors to experience adventure through the Rec

Outdoor+Adventures
Photo by Photo by Leah Kappayil
Outdoor Adventures

From rock climbing to kayaking — and beyond — the Rec’s Outdoor Adventure program can help Aggies break out of Evans Library and spend sometime outdoors.
The Outdoor Adventure program was founded in 1985 by Patsy Kott, the intramural GA for recreational sports.
“[Kott] noticed that there were a lot of other programs around Texas and around the nation that had outdoor adventure programs connected to their Rec Sports program and said we really need one here at Texas A&M,” Jason Kurten, director of the Outdoor Adventure program, said. “Kott wanted students to have access to outdoor recreational sports, as well as a place where student could grow, so she convinced the director to fund a little bit of money to start an outdoor adventure program connected to Rec sports.”
Students can become involved in a variety of ways, including being employed by Outdoor Adventure program.
“You don’t have to have certification to get hired, but you do need to get the certification to continue to do your job specifically for the indoor climbing facility,” Kurten said.
The Outdoor Adventure program also offers clinics and orientation classes on weekends for beginners who want to participate in these adventures, but are not familiar with the technique and skills. Kristen Rogers, former student employee and kinesiology senior,  said she enjoyed her time with Outdoor Adventure and has continued to work with the Rec.
“I started rock climbing and joined through knowing friends — I also wanted to learn more about outdoor sports,” Rogers said.
The Outdoor Adventure program offers different stepping stones, to students who do not participate in sports but find the beauty in nature Rogers said.
Industrial distribution junior Sowanny Horth received an email from The Outdoor Adventures program for a photography hike last semester. Intrigued to understand how to take nature photographs, Horth signed up and said she enjoyed her experience.
“I was surprised at how guided the experience was and felt that you could bond with people better since you already have an idea that they enjoy outdoor experiences,” Horth said.
Despite the appeal to students who enjoy the outdoors, it is open to all students, Kurten said, and taking trips can provide a learning experience.
“[I hope] that outdoor adventure program helps students learn honestly,” Kurten said. “I view myself as an educator on this campus, out of the seven undergraduate learning outcomes, six of those we deliver that in their employment experiences and recreational experience. They learn communication, they learn trust, and they learn risk management.”