Aggies go green with environment conscious app, look to up usage

Eco+Aggies
Photo by Graphic by: Sydney Farris
Eco Aggies

Reduce, reuse, recycle — the Texas A&M Eco Aggies’ app promotes social competition by encouraging these three Rs.
The new app — developed by several campus groups — sets challenges and informs users on environmental issues by making them aware of opportunities they have to promote sustainability.
By posting — or “buzzing,” as it’s called on the app — completed daily or monthly challenges, like saving water while brushing your teeth or taking public transportation rather than driving — users earn points and compete for gift cards, while also learning about how their acts of eco-friendliness help the Earth.
Eco Aggies was created by campus services aiming to promote a greener way of living, combining social media and competition amongst the Bryan-College Station area. The campus services that collaborate and run the app are Residence Life, the Sustainability Office, Transportation Services, Dining Services, Multicultural Services and the Utilities and Energy Services.
Taylor Allen, English freshman and is an eco-representative for Kruger Hall on campus and said she likes how the app informs users on how much waste, water and carbon dioxide a user saves.
“It’s really showed me little things that you can do every day that can affect the environment, more things you can do to be more green,” Allen said. “Going ‘topless’ — which is leaving your lid off of your to-go drink — can save a lot of plastic waste. It makes you feel good that you are helping to save the environment by being sustainable and saving on waste.”
International affairs graduate student and sustainability coordinator for TAMU Residence Life Jamin Goecker is involved in the organizing of the monthly goals set for the apps users. The monthly competitions will focus on “the three Rs”: recycle, reuse, reduce, to limit what people use to benefit the environment.
“For March, the challenge [is for] sustainability with water — eat local as much as possible and minimize water usage,” Goecker said.
The first-place winner in the monthly challenge earns a $25 giftcard from Amazon and the remaining competitors in the top 10
will also earn gift cards of lesser value.
Concerning campus, Goecker said recycling is an important        issue.
He said the best thing students can do is recycle more and use accessible resources such as Brazos Valley Recycling.
Austen McDonough, supply chain junior and the finance director of the Environmental Issues Committee, said he enjoys how the app raises awareness on the environmental impact of a person’s daily activities.
“I’ve always been environmentally conscious, but this app quantifies actions for people who don’t know how to live green. It will let them know what impact they are making,” McDonough said. “I don’t like how not enough people use it … I wish all my friends used the app.”